What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can Drosera Adelae be grown on a windowsill?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I'm thinking about buying a Drosera Adelae for my windowsill. However, I read that they need high humidity.

My windowsill gets about 2-3 hours of filtered sun and the rest of the time is bright shade. My cephalotus and Pinguicula Caerulea are doing really good on it.

Would Drosera Adelae make a nice addition for my windowsill?

It probably can. And it actually doesn't really need high humidity from what I've heard. I've never grown it before, so I can't really say, but I'm sure it can.

I would say that adelae can. I have one on a windowsill right now. After about week after I got it, it started to put out much larger globs of dew. The thing about high humidity is a myth. The humidity was often in the 40's on my windowsill.

yessir

it will do just great on a south facing windowsill.
i have to say that mine did very poorly until I covered the pot w/ a plastic dome to increase humidity.
But note that in the winter here, humidity is slim to none, so in different conditions you probably wouldn't need the dome.

I'd say so:

Strausplants0211.jpg

AF001001.jpg

That's a very nice D. adelae, Jimscott!

I've never had much luck with mine on the windowsill - or in a terrarium. They'd just dry out and die all of the sudden. ??? Then again, I did get them from a Lowe's death cube...

I'd go for it! In fact, I'm gunna try some more dews on my windowsill soon. :)

i have some growing in a windowsill, nice plants jimscott, my plants are smaller and seem to be growing fine, they grow right next to my mex pings. although they don't multiply as fast as people say, maybe its just my conditions i got like 1 offset since ive had them (got them early to mid summer june-july, i think)

Dustin, once it gets the roots everywhere you'll see them popping up a LOT more often, mine basically made hordes of roots for several months then started making plants all over the place once the network was to the satisfaction of the plant

Easy windowsill grower, I have mine in a north window and it grows just great!!

Mine never had offshoots till one day then I counted atleast 7 coming up. Now the plant is almost replacing the moss there so many of them.

Never had luck with these. Both were Lowes Deathcubes, the first one I did not remove from the cube and it cooked itself. The second one was doing ok for a long time, then with the move to the new apartment the shock killed it. I probably could have kept it going by keeping the soil moist and letting it grow back from the roots, but getting Distilled water is a chore around here, so...

I think part of the problem was too much sun, I hear these like less direct sunlight and more shade. I almost wonder if I could get away with growing this on a desk a bit away from the window with other houseplants, or even as an office plant.

If you have enough humidity for a Ceph, you can do D. adelae, no problem. I suppose starting from a weakened plant would present some difficulties, but these guys have been hands-down the easiest tropical Drosera I've grown. They propagate faster than D. capensis (if you don't count seed) and stand up to more abuse. They can't go outside as easily as a D. capensis will, but for indoor growing they're tops. I had good success growing mine in an unlit, open terrarium (really, it was the best thing I had available for a water tray) next to an eastern window along with U. gibba and D. prolifera. Grown in shade/natural light, they'll get smaller and greener, whereas with grow lights or prolonged sun they'll grow tall and red, apparently with fewer offsets. I've seen a number of my friends fail by attempting to grow these in bright, open northern windows, so I believe some direct sun or artificial light is required. Temperature may be an issue as well, but I'm not sure. You might not want to keep them right up against the glass in winter.
But really, with what's on your growlist, you'll do fine. They're an easy plant.
~Joe

Their one drawback is that they can unexpectedly dieback. But as long as the root is healthy you get plantlets.

Back