What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

shiping drosos

can you ship drosophyllums in pots. thats is how i got mine. but iam not sure if i got lucky or not.

i have better luck shipping any plants potted, as long as you tape down the soil and put a plastic cup or something to protect the plant/s from getting crushed then you can ship them that way. when i ship things potted, i...

1. tape down the soil
2. tape on plastic cup or something to protect the plant down over the plant
3. wet a paper towel in dist. water, and wrap around the bottom of the pot
4. label
5. put whole pot into like one of those bags you get fish in, tie the top, and the plant is basically gurranteed to make it alive

opposed to my special bare-root plants...which i have been learning, lol, bareroot wisdom from 'jimmy' **ALWAYS SHIP THEM IN A BOX** my bad, but it was one of my first plants i shipped, and now i have got supplies to pack them at home, which makes it easier then struggling to get everything packed at the post office, and they are packed neater and safer when i can sit and pack them at home

As long as the roots don't break, it should come through OK. But you can't really repot these guys, so the question becomes how to ship them in a pot big enough to support an adult plant. Just keep in mind that Drosophyllum lack the ability to heal broken roots, etc., so if the plant becomes injured, it will be injured for the rest of its lifetime. You could possibly transplant it safely, if you devised some method by which it could be removed from the smaller container without disturbing the soil, such as a pot with a removable bottom, or one of those peat pots.
~Joe

PS - I think the most sure-fire way to do this, other than just shipping seed (which is ultimately much better,) would be to ship just-germinated plants in sealed vials/pipettes with some sort of loose, moist media like wetted perlite. Basically making sure that the plant has so few roots that you can pay attention to and assure that each root is undamaged during packing/unpacking/planting. For adult plants, sending it in the hands of a very cautious courier is probably the best bet.

Drosophyllum, from what i understand from both Ron West and Peter D' Amato, cannot be shipped bareroot or unpotted. any disturbance of the roots results in the demise of the plant.

I believe jimscott has a Drosophyllum that survived a five-foot drop off a balcony and subsequent repotting. I'm convinced they're tougher than we give them credit. D'Amato actually recommends germinating in a separate container and transplanting shortly thereafter (which is needlessly risky and complicated, if you ask me.) The real risk is in breaking the roots and stem, more than disturbing them - as was evidenced by jim's plant. Come to think of it, jim, or possibly someone else, had one spring up in another pot that wouldn't suit a Drosophyllum, and repotted it successfully. I think they can't be shipped reliably because the risk of root and stem damage is too great. But that said, there are probably ways to ship them that increase the odds of survival.
~Joe

I wish Drosophylum was easier to transplant and propogate. If it were, they would be much easier to buy and keep in your collection.

When I'm out of college and have a greenhouse of my own, I want to get a Drosophylum.

They're easy enough by seed. You should find some and try them. If you can take the pot with you, that is.
~Joe

I wish the seeds would at least germinate.

I get seeds that get eaten up by fungus'........... :censor:

Do you soak and scar them first? Never had any fungus problems here, and it's moist enough in these parts...
~Joe

I believe jimscott has a Drosophyllum that survived a five-foot drop off a balcony and subsequent repotting. I'm convinced they're tougher than we give them credit. D'Amato actually recommends germinating in a separate container and transplanting shortly thereafter (which is needlessly risky and complicated, if you ask me.) The real risk is in breaking the roots and stem, more than disturbing them - as was evidenced by jim's plant. Come to think of it, jim, or possibly someone else, had one spring up in another pot that wouldn't suit a Drosophyllum, and repotted it successfully. I think they can't be shipped reliably because the risk of root and stem damage is too great. But that said, there are probably ways to ship them that increase the odds of survival.
~Joe

LOL! My plant, was the result of visiting elgecko and taking hope a pot that just happened to have a seed in it, primed for germination. my own germination attempts have been 100% failure. The seedling uktimately died from one too many transplants / upgrades. The plants that survived falling were pygmy sundews from the kitchen window, a 3' drop to the floor, resulting in perhaps a little confused re-labelling.

AF002601.jpg

Hmm, I must be thinking of someone else's Drosophyllum falling off a balcony - I'm fairly certain it was a Drosophyllum. I remember the picture of the soil all over the grass and a busted Slack-potting setup.
~Joe

Back