User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where Can I Find a Foolproof Thread on Growing Tuberous Dews from Seed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where Can I Find a Foolproof Thread on Growing Tuberous Dews from Seed?

The title says it all! Please post any links to particularly helpful information, and I'd appreciate anyone's personal experiences with tuberous sundews.

Ultimately, I'd like to know whether it's worth the effort of trying to grow them!

Thanks!

Jimmy
    "I'm just a scientist without the proper documentation."

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113724

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it comes to living organisms there is no such thing as foolproof (see my signature). However see the germination guide on the ICPS website "Winter Growing and Tuberous Drosera" and Pyro's sticky. Best time to sow tuberous seeds is late summer. Not much effort involved, just a lot of patience.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/see...dgermguide.htm
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=106084
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NaN, I love your signature. It makes me laugh every time I see it, and it is very, very true!

Thanks for the links, they are exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm guessing now that it really is worth the effort and patience. I've got a few species in mind...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have four species of Tuberous Dew seeds soaking since March. So far no sprouts.

It's not easy.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input, Fryster. Hopefully I'll have some luck at these...I'd be willing to wait a couple years, as long as I get a nice dewy tree!

That being said...Is high humidity as "important" for tuberous dews as it is for regular dews and other CPs? Or will these tolerate low humidity throughout their growth cycle? It'd be easier to try to grow these outside here, rather than inside, as NM's winter is mild, but dry.

Also, these are the species I'm particularly interested in:

D. erythrogyne
    D. gigantea
    D. macrantha
    D. stolonifera (rumored to be among the easiest?)
    D. zigzagia

And these are "alternates," if any of the above are too difficult (specific insight would help a bunch!)

D. huegelii
    D. subhurtella
    D. cistiflora (Not quite tuberous, but close)
    D. peltata (Also said to be easy?)

Again, thanks for the help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well NaN was kind enough to link my thread which I had forgotten about (and I need to edit I see LOL) but it should get you off to a good start.

I personally find growing from seed to be very rewarding but it takes a lot of patience. Do not be surprised if it takes years to get germination. And be ready to trip up along the way cause yearling tubers are tiny and sensitive to too dry and too wet. But if you are willing to put in the effort then it is a great reward.

Now as for the species you asked about:

D. erythrogyne

Have not tried this from seed yet. Since it is related (at least peripherally) to macrantha I suspect it should not be a great challenge but I do not expect it to be "easy"

D. gigantea

This has been an easy one for me. Germination usually happens first year and if not definitely the second year. Do not expect monstrous plants for many many years though.

D. macrantha

THis is another species I have always had good luck with. Germination usually occurs by the second season. These plants start very small and will often stay rosetted their first year or two.

D. stolonifera (rumored to be among the easiest?)

Easiest how? To grow or to germinate? I would say neither is true. If you put an addendum on it I will concede it is one of the easiest of the fan leaf tuberous but it still takes a bit more diligence than things like peltata and the like. As for germination, this is one of the ones that can take 3-5 or more years to germinate so be ready for a wait

D. zigzagia

I have not grown this one from seed but know someone who did, got blooming plants in a little over a year so I would say this is a good candidate. My plants form TC are super easy (and blooming again this year, right now actually.)

D. huegelii

Never grown this one so I can not offer anything on this one

D. subhurtella

Another I have not grown but I have grown the related moorei and it proved easy enough though it was not from seed. I imagine this would fall in the same general area as the macrantha types so be prepared for germination in the first couple seasons but be willing to wait longer.

D. cistiflora (Not quite tuberous, but close)

Been playing with these for a few years. My experience is that the seed needs a full cycle to get the best germination though you will probably get some straight off it you keep the pot permanently wet.

D. peltata (Also said to be easy?)

This is a very easy species. Seed will germinate where ever they fall, often without even having a dry cycle. Can be up to blooming in a single season though usually it takes 2. This is your best bet as a beginner.

I posted some seedling shots here a bit ago but here they are again

Various tuberous

D. cistiflora
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyro - Thanks so much for posting! That helps me out a bunch. Looks like I'm going to go ahead and get those seeds then - I'm willing to put in the effort. Thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. zigzagia

I have not grown this one from seed but know someone who did, got blooming plants in a little over a year so I would say this is a good candidate. My plants form TC are super easy (and blooming again this year, right now actually.)
    getting all the SOB's in the same pot to go into dormancy at the same time has been interesting though as Pyro has heard all about and has been trying to help me through.....the seed i got germinated quickly and i forget how long till i had flowering plants but if i search this forum i could prolly figure it out, i think it was less than a year cause i think i received the seed late last winter......as i said my main issue is i have close to a dozen seedlings in the pot and ive got everything from individuals that are flowering, to ones that went dormant a couple months ago......

edit: never mind, seed showed up late winter 2007.....germinated by May.....flowered summer 2008....this will be their first dormancy if i can get them all to go down.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast