What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drosera pullings / cuttings

does any1 have any sure fire ways to get a drosera cutting - pulling to take, so far no luck on my behalf, however my pings do great in the same situations... interesting plants we have here!
Thanks in advance
Steven

Usually, in most cases, if you get a leaf with the basal part (white), you embed it into moist media, with the rest of the leaf lying flat. Keep it lit and covered and then wait it out. That's no guarantee for all species but that's a general approach.

Yep. Ive just recently done this with filiformis. They have no white that I can see so I just snipped the leafs really low (dirt level) and put them in mix and they have all sprouted very easily.

D.filiformis ssp. filiformis is REALLY easy to propagate by cuttings/pullings, it almost never fails. I have even made flower stalk cuttings of one species (it's D.venusta-like but I am sure it was mislabelled when I got it as "D.coccicaulis" which seems to be a contested name at best)

Other species I have had much more variable success rates with

You might want to try them in a bag on damp LFS or something to keep the humidity fluctuations down to zero

Yep. Ive just recently done this with filiformis. They have no white that I can see so I just snipped the leafs really low (dirt level) and put them in mix and they have all sprouted very easily.

D. filiformis and D. binata fall at the easiest end of the spectrum. I haven't tried it but have read that you can shop the leavew up into sections (1"?) and sprout them. I just take whole leaves and get multiple growth points.

This was a leaf cutting that was sentto me:

D_filiformis.jpg

This is what I often do with D. binata:

IMG_0014.jpg

These were leaf sprouts:
100_0592.jpg

Picture117.jpg

I wonder how many times your binata vials have been posted on these forums jimscott...

How do you handle going from the pure water sprouts to soil? I had success with capensis and VFT pullings in pure water, but I couldn't get them to take to soil.

I wonder how many times your binata vials have been posted on these forums jimscott...

How do you handle going from the pure water sprouts to soil? I had success with capensis and VFT pullings in pure water, but I couldn't get them to take to soil.

A lot! What I do is transfer them to a pot that's in a vessel that is at least as tall as the soil surface and overfill the pot. And then I just let the water evaporate and the cuttings to nestle in. Not a problem.

does any1 have any sure fire ways to get a drosera cutting - pulling to take, so far no luck on my behalf, however my pings do great in the same situations... interesting plants we have here!
Thanks in advance
Steven

What type(s) of Drosera (they're not all the same for propagation)?

If you haven't seen this thread yet, you might want to check it out. For the 'easy' species, you'll usually get more plantlets with this method (over LFS). For petios - different beast ....

In my experience, root cuttings are a little more reliable and faster to mature than leaf cuttings. But leaf cuttings have the benefit of producing greater numbers of plants when successful. I like to use SuperThrive for leaf cuttings, but there are lots of folks who say SuperThrive is snake oil. :D
~Joe

What's the trick to root cuttings, btw? Just pick a big root (but not the "main" root), cut it, and bury it a bit under the soil? Or do you just cut little gaps in the root without removing it from the main plant?

I often check the bottoms of my D. binata and D. capensis pots for root protrusion.

And as more likely than not, I find a couple inches of roots growing out. I then gently snap off 1" to ½" sections and then plant them horizontally in separate pots of standard CP soil mix under about ¼" of loose soil.

I figure that the heat from the grow-lights (or sunlight outdoors) causes new growth to quickly burst forth (3-4 weeks) into the waiting environment. It's really quite amazing to behold...

I've never had luck with leaf pullings however. Fungus or rot always destroyed the leaves before any sprouts appeared. :(

thanks for the answers guys, much appreciated
Steven

My 2 centavos: use a really clean mix for the cuttings, either sterilized peat sand or more ideally finely milled live sphagnum, and get as much of the petiole base as possible. I've noted a higher sucess rate with pulls vs cuttings. Provide much light and cool temps (a challenge, I know!). Keep 'em wet.

I like the vial set up Jim! I never have gotten any budding using water. It has to be bad karma.

And to think that one of our number likes germinating seeds in water.....

Getting leaves to sprout hasn't been as much of an issues as getting them from the aquatic environment to terrestrial. That and staying on top of mold!

Back