What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone help a newb pick out their first Drosera for a fish tank thats outside in central texas that gets 3-4 hours of direct sunlight and the rest of the day is filtered light under a tree... 60-90% humidity, we really only have 2 seasons...long summers as hot as 112(high 90s typically) and short winters that can get as low as the 20s(high 30s typically). I have listed some that I found interesting that I think might work here. My VFT seems to do quite well in my setup. Please let me know if you think any of these are bad choices for the climate. Also, is there anything I should know about these regarding how well they can cohabitate with other CPs? Thanks.

D. spatulata
D. kenneallyi
D. intermedia
D. intermedia x capillaris
D. spatulata x capensis

How tall is the fish tank? I don't want to change your setup, but you may not need the fishtank at all. I grew my sundews in a short sandbox filled with water in the summer. It may be a bit too hot in the warmest part of summer, and too cold in the coldest part of winter given your conditions, but other than that, I think sundews would do great for you outside. They did fine for me in temps of around 95 but I don't know what their limit is. I don't think you should keep any sundew that you get outdoors unless it's over 40 to be safe. I had to take all mine in for the winter.
However, if it's working fine for you, by all means leave it as it is!

sundews i'd reccommend:
D. capensis (or 'Red' form)
D. spatulata
D. spatulata x capensis
would all be easy beginner plants.
I grew D. falconerii outside w/ no problems, so D. kenneallyi would most likely work, too.
You can find 3 dews that I listed on Andrew's cp site:
http://www.flytrapshop.com/servlet/the-Sundew/Categories
(in case you didn't know yet, Andrew is the guy that owns this forum. You get props for buying plants from his site)

Sundews will get along just fine with any other carnivorous plant.

I totally agree, Drosera don't require a terrarium in your conditions; in fact, it will work against you restricting the sunlight, air circulation and cool toes that most of them love. Use it for petiolaris. They like to suffer.

I have had some difficulty in the past with the hybrids. They never heard of hybrid vigor it seems.

The petiolaris all like it ha-ha-hot and can be tempermental as well. Probably because they COST so much, hey? mmmmm hmmmm.

Drosera spatulata is one of my all time favorite species. I won't say it's foolproof, but if you mind your CP's and Q's regarding nutrient free medium and pure water, and you give them enough light they'll really shine. Lots of variation in form and color within the species too AND won't cost you a nice night out with your chick. I mean, girl. Sorry.

So my advise is grow them all my man. Every last durn one of 'em, hahahaha!

Thanks. I think ill start with D. Spatulata since its name shows up 3 times in 3 posts. How tall and wide should I expect it to get in something like a 3 or so inch pot?

The plant itself is a flat rosette, but the flower scapes can reach 8 inches or so. This species comes easy from seed, and seed grown plants are always best since they start out in the conditions they are going to have to live in. If you have anything to trade, like a road cinder for example, someone would probably be happy to send you some. The plants are literally weeds in collections.

And anything with a capensis in it is a pretty hardy, attractive, easily propogated plant - much like a dandelion.

Back