User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A true newbie question -- How far can things be crossed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcantrell View Post
    So no crossing D. capensis and D. scorpioides to make the most annoying Cape Sundew (one with Gemmae!) ever? Drat!

Interesting stuff. Back when I was obsessing about Yellow Alpine Strawberries I read something interesting about making a mutant strawberry by using some chemical to break the chromosome count down so it would hybridize "incorrectly", but I haven't read enough about that yet.

Ah, found it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragaria_×_vescana
    Not break down the count... but prevent meiosis from occurring correctly. By arresting meiosis, you can end up with gametes where all the chromosomes pair up correctly. The chemical cholchicine is often used to create these polyploid hybrids (such as triticale) though it is sometimes known to occur naturally - as is speculated in the species Drosera anglica.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an excellent question!

First off, not all Drosera crosses are sterile. Between members of the genus sharing a common karyotype, e.g. 20N (this particular number is common amongst the South African species) fertile crosses are certainly possible - just as in the case here with our genus Sarracenia. Many complex crosses can be expected where species sharing a common karyotype have overlapping ranges. Once there is significant variance in the"N" there's not much chance of any successful pollination.

The petiolaris group is a good example of how these complex crosses can happen. Look at what growes have produced in the last decade alone, not to mention what is to come What limits these crosses in habitat is isolation; the species are widely divided - usually by desert like hell on earth. There is considerable room to further reduce the number of species in this section of Droseracae for some aspiring PhD! I suspect many of these so called "species" are not (and the same for many pygmy's). Rangeschange over time...lots of time (!) and connections get lost in million year drifts. Species or hybrid is a very opinionated thingy.

I suspect many of the pygmy species are capable of making fertile crosses between species, there are many already in circulation. Seed is not often produced in quantity, but it happens.

Not to mention the inevitable crosses possible amongst many of the South African species what can't keep their hands of*** each other....scandalous wanton crossing anywhere the ranges are sympatric. What a mess! (and a word to the wary if you collect these, when different species share a common flowering (antithesis) they may get it on when your not chaperoning them, and the seed you *think* is Drosera dielsiana may in fact be some *******o result of all this. Tsk tsk. You'd need to be crazy to take on S. Af. taxonomy. Do yourself a favor if you think you have academic interest in this and DON'T!

A simple websearch for "karyotype numbers for Drosera" should allow you to find commonality in this regard between different species, and could suggest many interesting experiments.

Refer to the "article" section for Ivan Snider's fine article on pollinating proceedure. (Yes, I deliberately spelled that name wrong, payback for the Listserve drumming I got over my publication of Drosera 'Rhodesian Beauty' in the CPN, harrrrumph!). It's a fine article though.

Please experiment! You never know what beautiful results wait for you and the world!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about different genus? Such as Sarracenia x Nepenthes? Dionaea x Sarracenia? Sarracenia x Drosera? Has anyone every tried trying this? Even though their flowers are different, who said it's impossible. The skys the limit.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sky IS the limit, and nothing happens from doing nothing next. The love of the hobby comes from the learning and growing, yes!

Uhhh, Jim, exactly what DID happen with that butterwort/flytrap cross? I bet the details are captivating and juicy! He probably trapped her because she was stuck on him. It was that perfume she wore....
    "Grow More, Share More"

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You remember, Audrey 2, of course! (Potty-mouthed plant that spoke ebonics)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12