Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Struggling Drosera falconeri

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While it may be 'adjusting' as others have suggested, I'd have a close look around to ensure it doesn't have some critters setting up residence. The malformed leaves are enough cause to do an inspection...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, you're giving it so much attention!! I've got mine tucked away in a corner.

Looks like the inward spiral to me - so its probably going into dormancy because of being moved.

Just water it a bit less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the advice. I checked it for pests and the plant is clean. Brokken, thanks for the link, your plants are awesome and there was great information in that thread. I hope to achieve that some day. I purchased this plant without doing my homework, hence the special setup. All of my other plants grow in highland conditions. I am determined to have success with this plant. The photo period is 14 hours per day.

The phrase "inward spiral" peaks my curiosity. What do these plants do during their dormancy (are there living parts)? Can they be forced into dormancy and how dry is the soil during this time (damp, dry)?

These plants, although stunted appear to be actively growing, therefore, I am hesitant to change the growing environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lambdlth View Post
    Thanks all for the advice. I checked it for pests and the plant is clean. Brokken, thanks for the link, your plants are awesome and there was great information in that thread. I hope to achieve that some day. I purchased this plant without doing my homework, hence the special setup. All of my other plants grow in highland conditions. I am determined to have success with this plant. The photo period is 14 hours per day.

The phrase "inward spiral" peaks my curiosity. What do these plants do during their dormancy (are there living parts)? Can they be forced into dormancy and how dry is the soil during this time (damp, dry)?

These plants, although stunted appear to be actively growing, therefore, I am hesitant to change the growing environment.
    You can't "force" the plant into dormancy, but you can give it subtle hints: Reducing the photo period for example. As the days grow shorter in the winter, maybe you should consider cutting down on the amount of light. This will also have the effect of reducing the temperature inside your enclosure. You may also wish to move the plant close to a window so that the cold radiating from the window also helps cool it.

Once the plant starts to get the hints, reduce your watering schedule so that the pots are moist, but not drenching wet (which is easily overdone in a closed environment like what you have). If you treat your falconeri like a denizen of green hell, it may grow, but the moment that humidity drops your plant will surely wilt within hours. Don't make your plant so reliant on you that the moment power fails, it will dry out like a fish out of water.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Drosera falconeri always did best in a light airy mix of perlite and live milled LF sphagnum with some added laterite. My gut level impression is that this [;ant is in too wet a medium, and not the right light spectra. I grew mine outdoors in warm months in a covered terrarium, after acclimating the plant slowly to full sun. They like HOT! When showing active growth, plants were in tray water, the goal being to leep the roots wet at this stage, but avoiding conditions where the roots are compacted by the medium. Over wet and dense medium are invitations for anaerobic microorganisms what find roots tasty. When the "inward spiral" as noted happens, the plants come out of tray water and the medium kept at a moisture level like a wrung out washcloth, More observatiional care and careful watering are in order at this stage. Also, water droplets should not fall on the rosettes. There is very little of that happening in the NT in Australia! These plants grow in seeps where there are standing pools, but the rest is desert and harsh. If the top of the mix can be kept significantly drier than the rest of the pot, all the better, but your growing in a 2 inch pot works against this. If something happens to the root tips, they cease growing and so does the plant. What happens beneath the surface is as critical for good growth as factors of nutrition, water and light.

It's hard to say what to do in this case. I would probably reduce the wetness gradually, lower the humidity as well after repotting into a much larger pot. Mine were in 6 inchers. Try to give the plant some broken sunlight and maintain the mix at least at 70F and hope and pray. I've killed many a D. falconeri, but here is my favorite shot of my best plant before it too joined Darwin in the Big Bog in the Sky. The traps were quarter sized on some of the petioles. Sigh.

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/sund..._anthesis_2002
    "Grow More, Share More"

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin, where can one get laterite?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tropical fish supply concerns have it or can order it. If it is available, try to get the type that's evenly reddish.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brokken, thanks for providing the link. Funny... same people, different forum. This stood out to me, as I struggle to get my recently acquired plant adjusted:

Hey Brokken,
    Your plants have great color and symmetry. I've also found that if you put this species in live sphagnum, it seems to encourage rapid crown splitting, flowering and multiple healthy plants. The same holds true for Drosera kennealyi. Since I've done the above mentioned, I don't even worry about trying to get seed!
    Happy Growing,
    Brian.
    My plant went through a little shipping shock and then it put out new leaves. Then those leaves declined when I put in in the fishtank. An now I see green leaves emering from the crown.

I'm hoping that my on again - off again D. kenealleyi's will do the same. They look pretty bad for now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast