User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's with pulchella & roseanna?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roseana were very successful for me. I just put them on a peat/sand mix, stuck them out in the sun, and they grew. I took some pics today, but until I can find my camera cable, you wont be seeing them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, i remember seeing your pics a few days ago and i think your problem isn't the temps but the insufficient light. Do you have them under lights or are just on your windowsill?
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive always just thrown them outside in the mini bog with the sarracenias and a ton of them start sprouting, my experience is with the nitidula x pulchella and scorpioides. to me it seems like all of them sprout though some that ive gotten through the mail actually sprout in transit...

~billy

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've treated all gemmae from this fall in the same manner. I put them in 2" pots of mostly sand to peat, 3" under the Grolite, right in front of the south facing sliding glass doors. They are all room temp, open tray, with the fluorescent light on for ~15 hours per day. They all get a transluscent plastic cup over them for about a week. Then the results diverge and pulchellas & roseanna gets relatively poor sprouting compared th everything else. Here are examples of what is at the other end of the spectrum, in exactly the same conditions:

I haven't mastered capturing them on the new camera yet. Anyhoo, those two particular species just don't sprout as well as all the others, when treated identically.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a casual observation I've made is that the smaller the gemmae (by species) the longer it takes for them to sprout. D. pulchella has rather small gemmae relative to some of the other species. The Drosera pygmaea gemmae, again tiny relative to the others in my batch, are only now starting to sprout. The other species sprouted weeks ago. The D. roseana gemmae in the same batch took longer to sprout as well.

An exception to this may be Drosera scorpioides which sometimes takes 3 or 4+ weeks to get going.

As long as the gemmae are still green or turning red they should still be viable.

I just scrapped out the last few gemmae in my D. pulchella "Salmon Flower". They're kind of old but I picked out most of the black ones. I'll send 'em to you tomorrow with some anthers from my Drosera ordensis.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....that and also you might consider how well grown the gemmae are, how much they matured on the plant before being collected.
    @NaN ...if you think pygmaea is bad then you should try microscapa! For the first time ever i had a 0% germination in one of the pots in my propagation tank...out of tens of other pots.
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Age and maturity is certainly a factor in growth rates. With my own plants I'll only collect the gemmae that freely launches or comes loose with just a touch. All bets are off with gemmae it get from other sources.

With the D. roseana the gemmae had formed root filiments when I got them. They still took longer then other species in the same batch.

I hear you about D. microscapa. I got a few gemmae but put them aside for a day as I had more pressing matters to attend to. The next day a few had started to turn black (they were fine the day before). I sowed them but only half started to grow, the rest turned black. A couple sets of trap leaves later they started disappearing one by one. So it goes.

Flytraplady's (Lois) signature says it all:

"Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity."
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about the bad microscapa luck guys. I noticed that I didn't get very good germination either in my pot, and I know I put a rather large amount in. Out of probably 40-60 gemmae, I've only got maybe 10-12 plantlets.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast