What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huge pic thread (DUW)

cool! What does a gigantea look like after its asparagus phase?

This species is a climber. Dr. Robert Gibson sent me a photo of him standing next to a large shrub which was well over his head, and the flowering apex of the plant was a good armspan above that creeping upwards through the bush. He told me he could stub his toe on the base. Probably wouldn't happen in cultivation, but well grown examples dwarf most other tuberous species. The trick is to provide much light so the next seasons tuber is larger than the previous season, otherwise the plants stay small forever and ever or wane away entirely. To get a really large plant takes intense sunlight I believe, possible maybe in the sunny states like California and Arizona but sadly impossible here in upstate NY to get a monster plant where we get about 45 per cent of the possible sunlight. Still, they are still fun to grow and fascinating plants, as Travis has shown in his photos, and they do establish over time with attention to dormancy.

Hey Wurm,

I think the first and second unknowns are tubestylus or related. The third and fifth I suspect are erythro. 4 may be macranta, may be a menziesii form. I suspect 7 (and 8) to be a macrantha and 9 (and 10) have been postulated by Sean Spence of being menziesii ssp. thysanosepala. 6 is the big question mark, I got it as a tuber and the label on the pot says it is rupicola which is in the stolonifera complex and that plant sure does not look stolonifera like...

Probably wouldn't happen in cultivation, but well grown examples dwarf most other tuberous species. The trick is to provide much light so the next seasons tuber is larger than the previous season, otherwise the plants stay small forever and ever or wane away entirely. To get a really large plant takes intense sunlight I believe, possible maybe in the sunny states like California and Arizona

Another thing you need for a monster sized plant is a deep pot. Once upon a time in my readings I saw that the tubers for this species can go down more than a meter and get as large as a chicken egg. My plant was a tad over 45cm last year, the tuber reformed at the bottom of a 1G pot. This year I have them in a 40cm deep taproot pot. I suspect they will outgrow it in no time. My next plan, when that happens, is to just cut the bottom out of the taproot pot and sink it a couple inches into a 5G bucket full of media. If it outgrows that then I'll be screwed.

Very nice Pyro. When I got my D. hamiltonii it didn't take long for it to grow into my favorite dew.

Back