What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Callistos questions

S_Oregon_CP

Bio is my life!
I have 2 different color flowers coming from my D. Callistos. I believe one is called 'Fraser Island' One flower is Pink and one is White. I have seen online D. Callistos with orange flowers. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get one and if it is different type?

You have something else, maybe a spatulata fi. D. callistos is the one with orange flowers. Maybe you just switched the labels. Post some pics.

I have 2 different color flowers coming from my D. Callistos. I believe one is called 'Fraser Island' One flower is Pink and one is White. I have seen online D. Callistos with orange flowers. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get one and if it is different type?

I have heard 'Fraser Island' in association with D. spatulata, not callistos.

Ok. I have a link to a seller that shows D. Callistos with orange flowers and one flower in there is the same flower half my callistos has. I looked at a few other sites and saw that it is called Drosera callistos 'Brookton Form' with orange flowers. I can see that they are all the same plants just with three different color flowers.

The plant in question is a D. Callistos. I have 2 different colored flowers one pink with yellow inside and one is white with red inside. I have seen Orange as the flowers Callistos have. I have also heard that it is just a version called Brookton form. I want one!!!!

I am not sure these are all Callistos, they could be something completely different. I bought em from a nursery.

Plants in question
P9230032.jpg

P9210014.jpg

Pink Flowers with yellow in the white ones with middle dark red.
PB300256.jpg

PB300252.jpg

PB280242.jpg

PA310274.jpg

P9230036.jpg

pinkish/white with red center
PA310273.jpg

P9210016.jpg

PA290262.jpg

P9230037.jpg

It looks to me like you have Drosera omissa/ericksonae x pulchella (pinkish/lavender flower)
and Drosera patens/nitidula ssp omissa x pulchella (whitish flower). The red styles/stigma are characteristic of most of the former nitidula complex and hybrids.

Both of these hybrids are floating around often mislabeled, not necessarily as Drosera callistos. I have Drosera omissa x pulchella mislabeled as Drosera nitidula x pulchella. It appears it was mistaken for Drosera patens x pulchella. The plants look similar but the flowers tell a different story.

These hybrids are going around under many names. I think is the reponsability for each one of us to research and see what pygmys we have in collection before passing them around with bad id's. I stopped trading for pygmys on TF due to this issue.
NaN you are right on the first one but are you sure about the patens x pulchella? I see only nitidula x pulchella...that pink/purple color is typical for this hybrid.
S Oregon CP if you are sure you didn't switch the tags you should contact the nursery and "thank" them!

They look like my flowers! Anyways, here's a D. callistos:

IMG_0412.jpg

Yes, it could possibly be D. pulchella x nitidula. Color depends on growing conditions also.

They are not D. callistos though.

Wow!

Didn't anyone notice the extremely creepy looking Black Widow spider in that sundew?

Was it placed there or was it caught by the plant?

Yeah...we did notice it ...but that id was obvious:D

Thank you. No the plants where labeled wrong by the nursery that sells them second hand. They said D. Callistos Pigmy CP from Australia! I do not like having hybrid plants mixed in with my collection. I also dont like having mislabels. UGH! Thank you though. I am glad I asked. The biggest one is making gammae I think!! woo hoo. to bad i dont know what it is. Maybe if I trade I will say Random Pygmy lol... I have noticed though that one of them has pink globes and the others have Red globes of killer juice drops... Thanks

Yes...most cp growers look at hybrids like they are the last plants they want in their collection. That's too bad! Some of them are natural hybrids, they are more resistant, flower more often, produce more gemmae and most sometimes are more beautiful than other non-hybrid species. That's why we don't like them!!!
Like i said...that's just too bad!

This is likely the hybrid Drosera pulcjella x D. nitidula, those dark clublike styles are diagnostic for D. nitidula and its hybrids.

This section of Droseracae is very difficult so the ID issues are not a surprise, but not limited to TF by any means. I've gotten misidentified material from all quarters.

No mistaking the metallic orange flowers and black centers of Drosera callistos.

Also, if you want to be botanically correct, note the Genus name is always capitalized and the species rank always is lower case.

This is likely the hybrid Drosera pulcjella x D. nitidula, those dark clublike styles are diagnostic for D. nitidula and its hybrids.

i cant help but add that the one pic posted looks almost identical to my D. nitidula x pulchella.
IMG_0952.JPG

pictures of the flower,
IMG_0951.JPG

IMG_0950.JPG

hope it helps...

~billy

With Pink/Purplish flowers with yellow styles it is probably Drosera omissa x pulchella. I have the same plant labeled as D. nitidula x pulchella too.

That is omissa x pulchella for sure! You can even see the omissa in it!

If you want to see a pic of the REAL closterostigma go to drosera.lu.......the website is wrong...and the pics aren't so great either.

Back