User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dormancy for my new plants (D. binata and D. filiformis)

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This past fall I put my binatas and tracyiis to sleep, but not before taking leaf cuttings. They sprouted and flourished and now these baby tracyiis are dormant. The baby binatas aren't. I have no explanation as to why. They just are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, unless I really mistook what's going on... Tracyi has already came out of dormancy. It's sending up a new leaf -- or I didn't notice one of the little buds was pointing straight up and was vaugely leaf-like.

I think it's waaaay too early, but I donno what to do. It's photoperiod is natural light from my windowsill, about 12 hrs a day, 6 of which is direct overhead sun.

Now that it's dormancy has (presumably) been broken, is it too late to just throw it in the fridge?

Edit: AHA! I noticed what's going on. The bulb isn't flush with the ground. What I thought was a leaf pointing up is really pointing to the side -- there's a similar one pointing straight down in the media. So in theory, I'm ok!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't do a thing. We're ~4 weeks into the photoperiod now increasing. Not that a whole lot of change has occurred, or at least visibly so, but I would anticipate the plants breaking dormancy pretty soon, on their own.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my D. filiformis are waking up. They go to bed early like around October.

Just follow the plants lead and let them do their thing.

Early to bed. Early to rise....
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    K. I decided to go ahead and repot the D. dichotoma 'Giant' in a mix of 1:1:.001 Peat:Perlite:SoilMoist, it's the same general mix I use on everything else, so it should work well. I was worried about the Soilmoist (little inorganic polymers that suck up water and ooze it back out) but my S. Purpurea has some in it's pot and it's doing *great*.

The temperature difference between where the bigger pot is and the windowsill isn't THAT big, and if photoperiod is the major trick to getting them to go dormant, then I'm fine.

Still worried about the Binata T-Form, to be honest... My guess is the store I got it from just trimmed off all the leaves/stems before shipping, or it's dormant. If it does recover I'm grabbing a cutting ASAP. I'm hesitant to take a root cutting from it right now, as I've never done that.

I do have a container of dried LFS that I'm trying to regenerate (I cheated and threw in a pinch of living stuff from my Nep's pot too) in prep for some Darlingtonia seeds in the future, maybe I could just cut a root off the Binata and throw it in there? I also have a small box of water that I am sprouting some Drosera and VFT cuttings, maybe throwing a root in there would work too?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live LFS is like gold. I start all sorts of seeds and leaves in it. The two sundews, VFT's, and Cephalotus work very well in this, as did a D. regia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The D. dichotoma 'Giant''s sickly yellow leaves are turning green. I haven't been able to keep a good enough eye on the D. tracyi but it almost seems like some of the teardrop buds are uncurling and pointing up. Adelae has lost all it's dew, I think it's in shock, hope it recovers. Still nothing from the Binata but I wasn't expecting anything for another few months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Filiformis Tracyii seems to be pushing out of it's pot, very weird. I might be washing the soil away though, I use a turkey baster to water my plants. Will keep an eye on it and adjust as needed.

Binata is still completely non-reactive. I am keeping it moist but I believe the plant is dead. I might take some root cuttings and try and prop. it.

D. dichotoma 'Giant Form' has a big BIG leaf already, already split into 4 segments and is now so top heavy it is falling over. It has 2 other leaves coming up already. The second one is destined for my cuttings bucket for propagation the second I can. Hope to get a huge collection of baby plants for trade out of it.

Adalae isn't doing anything. No activity at all, the existing leaves aren't even unfurling. I am worried.

I have some D. filiformis ssp "Flordia All Red" seed coming. I was told it's a sub species and not a cultivar. We'll see. I'd like to cross Florida All Red and Tracyi until I get something mostly Tracyi-like without dormancy requirements, but there's probably some important reason why I can't do that. Ah well.

When plants go dormant, do they photosynthesize? I thought of this on the way home -- plants buried in the snow don't always die even though they're getting 0 light, so in theory I could throw a bunch of dried LFS or pine needles around and over the plants then throw a burlap bag on top, Wildbill style. I am worried that warm days will wake them up and they'll die from no light, but, it might be something to try at least... I just don't understand how mulching keeps plants warm enough to survive... I would figure they'd still freeze to death.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast