User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dormancy for my new plants (D. binata and D. filiformis)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How high is the humidity on your D. adelae? I've found that when mine started to peeter out, and I supplied the plant with 100% humidity and a longer photoperiod, it took off like crazy. If your plant doesn't recover, just let me know. It's a weed for me.

...and to answer the last question, the plants seem to have no need for photosynthesis when in a hibernacula bud. I put some D. x hybrida in the fridge that went dormant 4 months ago, and the hibernacula buds are still green. I'm going to take it out soon so I don't push my luck with it...
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When does filiformis normally come out of dormancy? I want to put it outside but won't this year (no time to acclimate it, alas)... I'm just glad that the low light in my windowsill seems to be enough to get it to stay asleep.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends upon whether they are inside or out, as well as which form they are. Indoor California sunset was waking up in mid-January. And so is Traceyi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did notice this morning a little bit of black on the tips of some of the teardrops. Not all of them, just some. Hope it's not getting sunburned...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just noticed my D. filiformis waking up today. The large winter bud is starting to unfurl. Also, a new plant that formed in the summer is already sending up leaves. Still going to be a number of weeks (6+) before they can be left outside every day here in the Denver area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's 24 degrees out right now, so it'll be a month or two before I will feel comfortable putting mine out. We'll see, though.

I did sprinkle some D. Filiformis ssp "Florida All Red" seeds over my LFS growing project. It's a Chinese takeout container with a lid w/ steam vents, so it works well. I put about an inch of dried LFS in there, then recently took about 2 inches of live LFS from my Neph's pot and filled it with enough water that I can see it over the lower parts of the dried LFS. Most of the deeds landed on the live LFS, I used a bit of water to push them around though.

Meant to do about 20, ended up with about 60... Whoops! The rest went into the fridge for storage, going to see if they don't need any stratification like they say. About how long should it take to see some sprouts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, no dormancy needed for the ssp. "Florida All-Red". Just make sure you keep them warm. Otherwise, they may not germinate for you. Mine took 4-5 weeks to sprout.
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I put a heat mat under the Chinese food container the LFS is in, originally I had it under the ShamWow I am using to soak up any accidental spills but the ShamWow insulated too much. Now it's on top and the insulation is working in it's favor -- the water doesn't feel "hot" inside it, in fact I can't tell if it's warm or cold when I put my finger in the water anymore.

I did notice today that the entire container full of LFS is turning green. Either it's algae (ugh) or the LFS regenerating, which was the original idea... I think it's the latter as rubbing it with my finger doesn't cause any of it to come off on my finger, and it's only the LFS strands that are turning green.

The Living LFS I pinched from my Nephs pot is growing quite happily, too, sending up lots of spikes.

The D. dichotoma is growing really well, the second stem it sent up doubled in size over the last few days, and the one leaf it already has unfurled has already caught 4 ... fruit? flies. Those two events might be related. It looks a lot more like a D. Binata 'Marston Dragon' so far though, with the "H" style leaves that curl forward.

D. Binata is still dead looking, no activity at all. D. Adelae has gotten some dew back, but not all. I moved it out of the little alcove that it was in (I am suddenly a bit worried about light levels in there) and moved it to next to the LFS container and Cuttings chamber. That means it's on the heat mat too, which I hope is ok.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast