What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just noticed my D. filiformis waking up today. The large winter bud is starting to unfurl. Also, a new plant that formed in the summer is already sending up leaves. Still going to be a number of weeks (6+) before they can be left outside every day here in the Denver area.

It's 24 degrees out right now, so it'll be a month or two before I will feel comfortable putting mine out. We'll see, though.

I did sprinkle some D. Filiformis ssp "Florida All Red" seeds over my LFS growing project. It's a Chinese takeout container with a lid w/ steam vents, so it works well. I put about an inch of dried LFS in there, then recently took about 2 inches of live LFS from my Neph's pot and filled it with enough water that I can see it over the lower parts of the dried LFS. Most of the deeds landed on the live LFS, I used a bit of water to push them around though. :)

Meant to do about 20, ended up with about 60... Whoops! The rest went into the fridge for storage, going to see if they don't need any stratification like they say. About how long should it take to see some sprouts?

yep, no dormancy needed for the ssp. "Florida All-Red". Just make sure you keep them warm. Otherwise, they may not germinate for you. Mine took 4-5 weeks to sprout.

Yeah, I put a heat mat under the Chinese food container the LFS is in, originally I had it under the ShamWow I am using to soak up any accidental spills but the ShamWow insulated too much. :) Now it's on top and the insulation is working in it's favor -- the water doesn't feel "hot" inside it, in fact I can't tell if it's warm or cold when I put my finger in the water anymore.

I did notice today that the entire container full of LFS is turning green. Either it's algae (ugh) or the LFS regenerating, which was the original idea... I think it's the latter as rubbing it with my finger doesn't cause any of it to come off on my finger, and it's only the LFS strands that are turning green.

The Living LFS I pinched from my Nephs pot is growing quite happily, too, sending up lots of spikes.

The D. dichotoma is growing really well, the second stem it sent up doubled in size over the last few days, and the one leaf it already has unfurled has already caught 4 ... fruit? flies. Those two events might be related. ;) It looks a lot more like a D. Binata 'Marston Dragon' so far though, with the "H" style leaves that curl forward.

D. Binata is still dead looking, no activity at all. D. Adelae has gotten some dew back, but not all. I moved it out of the little alcove that it was in (I am suddenly a bit worried about light levels in there) and moved it to next to the LFS container and Cuttings chamber. That means it's on the heat mat too, which I hope is ok.

So.... the D. dichotoma 'Giant' is looking more like a D. x 'Marston Dragon'. The first leaf has tapered off and looks just like a Marston Dragon claw -- H shaped with the tips curling forward like an Eastern Dragon's claw.

Did I get the wrong plant, or is that possible with a D. dichotoma -- that early leaves would do the Marston Dragon thing instead of a normal shape?

From what I have been told, these cultivars take on their intended characteristics when the have been well-acclimated and mature.

It's just kinda weird that it's doing Dragon claws. I've heard of Marston Dragon growing Binata style leaves initially then switching to the dragon claws, but never Dragon Claws turning into dichotoma leaves. While I'd be happy enough with a D. Binata "Marston Dragon"... I'd rather have the dichotoma "giant" that I paid for... :D

D. Binata "Marston Dragon" doesn't need dormancy though... at least, I don't think. So at least there's that. :)

Still no activity from the D. Binata T-form. I'm keeping it nice and moist, though. Adelae is dewing up again though, so. Yay.

Can't see any of the Filiformis "Florida All Red" seeds in my LFS, which is turning nice and green. I fear they fell between cracks and are now lost. In theory I could flood the container (moreso than it already is, mind) and they'd float...

I still have a few more dry and in the fridge, I might try them on standard Peat instead of LFS next.

D. Tracyi is waking up, lots of new growth all of a sudden. Nothing super weird or special with it, the hibernating buds just started growing outward. Really need to see them all curled up.

D. dichotoma seems to be growing another dragon claw. Wonder how many it'll have to do before I give up and admit to myself that it's a D. Binata "Marston Dragon" and not a dichotoma.

D. Binata T-Form is sending up a shoot. I think it's not quite buried deep enough -- there are weird... tuber... like things shooting up slightly then into the pot, I believe you experts call them "roots". Whoops. Fortunately the pot is not overfull, so I can just add more soil or live LFS. :)

Adelae is switching between dewy in spots and completely not dewy at all. Rather weird.

ya dude, it can take quite a long time before they develop the intended characteristics of the plant. In my experience, D. 'Marston Dragon' will eventually branch off like D. binata var. multifida, but it is a bit thicker and doesn't have as many points. But then again, I can't quite grasp the idea of an H shape. It's not a Y right now?

and i don't think I'd flood the pot. If they germinate (which will take a while), a few will most likely find their way to the surface and take off from there...

ya dude, it can take quite a long time before they develop the intended characteristics of the plant. In my experience, D. 'Marston Dragon' will eventually branch off like D. binata var. multifida, but it is a bit thicker and doesn't have as many points. But then again, I can't quite grasp the idea of an H shape. It's not a Y right now?

and i don't think I'd flood the pot. If they germinate (which will take a while), a few will most likely find their way to the surface and take off from there...

Well, it's supposed to be D. dichotoma, not D. 'Marston Dragon'... And no, it's not Y. What it's doing is an H with curled tips.

| |
| |
|--+---|
| |
| |

With the + being where the stem is, coming out of the exact opposite of the sticky bits. The newest leaf seems to be coming out the same way.

I have a camera incoming, should be able to show you better in a week or so.

Actually, no need -- CC has a picture up that's pretty similar to what I got. Guess I'm just getting anxious. :D

Hm. I can't seem to see any of my D. Filiformis seeds in the LFS anymore, is that bad? There's also a mild bit of algae growth, and what appear to be, well, they're not fleas, but...

Should I worry about them not being visible anymore, or just wait until another few weeks go by?

I put another dusting of them in standard Peat + Perlite stuff that I'm rooting my cuttings in, hopefully they'll take.

Back