What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum lusitanicum seeds

I plan to get some of these and I have been reading on this site about them. I saw elgecko's thread and it seems like they are not as hard as people think. But then again he does have the magic window. There are some questions that really are not answered in.

When is the right time to try to get the seeds to germinate? Peter D'Amato says he likes to wait til autum. If it's about cooler temps then could it be done towards the early spring when it's still cooler from winter?Another thing is what's with the one seed/plant every couple feet? Does it really work like that? I'm thinking it's not true from some pics I've seen.

hey i have had many seeds germinate in my cultivation but never made it to matururity-my flaut- but they do seem to like the cooler temps to germinate. you get really fast germination when you sarcify 3 sides of the seed. and i have had 3 germinate in a 4" by 4" pot. they are one of the easiest plants to germinate-i think-.
hope this helps.

I do the scarification on one side of the seed and soak for 24hrs in water. I prefer early Spring so the plants will be able to grow all season outside in the full sun before Fall. The biggest challenge for me is getting them through the Winter in the dull NE here. They don't do well in the greenhouse with the automatic overhead sprinklers so I keep my plant at the house on the counter under a 43w cfl bulb in one of those aluminum reflector lights. The end of the bulb is touching the tips of the leaves. This has worked well in keeping the plant nice and compact and prevented it stretching out from lack of light intensity.

Yeah so doing it in late winter/early spring when it's cool after scarification and leaving the pot outside is a good idea. Then for the summer leave it outside. I was going to use a east window for the winter. That's what I'm thinking is going to be biggest problem.

Back