Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A boring question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A boring question

I read somewhere that the D. capensis sundew can go through dormancy period but doesnt
    really need it.Is this true?Mine looks fine and it didnt go through it many times.
    P.S. I'm having a problem with posting the photos.I dont know whats going on .
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-07-2009 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. capensis does not go through a dormancy period. Temperate, winter growing, pigmy, wooly, and tuberous sundews all go through a dormancy period. Your plant is a subtropical plant that will grow year round.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-07-2009 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drosera capensis doesn't have a dormancy period, however if exposed to frosty temperatures it can die down to the root and usually come back with warmer temperatures.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Drosera capensis doesn't have a dormancy period, however if exposed to frosty temperatures it can die down to the root and usually come back with warmer temperatures.

Yeah. Here in Florida, temperatures dropped into the twenties a few nights ago. My D. Capensis had all the leaves turned black, but there's still a growing point. When the weather gets warmer, it's start growing again.

*edit* I think my D. Spatulata died because the entire mound of plants is black and I don't see a growing point.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What problems are you experiencing with posting photos? Perhaps we can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks,but I'll work it out somehow whith the pics.I'm pretty much glad that some of my new plants
    already got through dormant period.I just hope my sarrs get flowers this year(they are amazing!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more thing,how long does it take for D.capensis to become a "sundew tree"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine's got a good stem on it (it's about a 6-7 inch stem, but reaches up to 8-9 inches with upward pointing traps...), it's been in my custody since august of 08, and it was about 4-8 months old i guess, so if you wanna look, go to http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo202/blokeman1 i am sure i have a pic of it in there, but it was before i trimmed it.

when you say tree, mine sorta looks like a palm, with a 'fibrous-like' stem, i really enjoy this plant, and am happy to make it grow so well

Happy Growing!
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast