What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I repot?

I would have to disagree with most of the comments voting to leave this be. To my eye, there are strong indications of a mineralization happening in this pot. A good clean medium does not suooort the growth of the various Bryophyta species seen here, moss, liverworts and etc. I also note the basal leaves affected prematurely by fungal blight, another indication of a less than pristine mix. This happens over time, as salts become accumulated in the pot from the water used as well as from impurities in the mix, leading to eventual decline of the plants. Reoptting is good, since the old medium goes, and with it the potential problems. Also these problems take longer to affect larger containers, but IMO it's time to repot these sundews.

I used to preach a lot about the need for substrate purity, and the hard fact is peat quality varies considerably from bag to bag. Acceptable TDS readings for Drosera are well below 150 PPM, but peat runoff water tested out sometimes close to 1000 PPM! I advise rinsing peat and sand before use as a medium if you're shooting for the optimum. Also improtant is the sand content since the composition can vary enormously depending on the locale the sand was taken from. I advise you use only white silica sand, and rinse before use.

Typically, I did the work all at once, rinsing and mixing the medium, then filling all the pots I anticipated using for the season. These were then placed outdoors to allow rain to percolate through them, and employed as needed using the oldest first. Worked like a charm!

Some species tolerate higher mineral content. some less. Not surprising to see that beautiful D. adelae happy with the moss, as this is a woodland species. It would likely spell death for Brasillian endemics though.

Thank you for the opportunity to raise awareness in other growers regarding the need for a good clean mix, and my best wishes for you and your plants!

Back