What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

zigzagia......i give up........

have spent the last couple months trying to get it to go dormant....added 6 hours of daylength.......am letting it dry out between waterings.....checked on it this week and there has been an explosion of growth which i am told is likely the original seed grown plants which havent gone dormant, producing extra offshoot tubers and they started growing.....

IMG_0993.jpg

No, don't give up! Keep it up!

Really, nice growing! If you feel like trading some tubers, seeds, or even growing plantlets away, let me know... :)

the plants have been growing over a year, actually getting close to two and have not been through a dormancy......been trying for 3 months to force them into a dormancy.....they dont want to go.........

Who knows, maybe you have a new dormancy-less cultivar of zizagia on your hands.

It'll go dormant S, trust me :) Sometimes they just do weird things. COme last frost you can stick them outside, that'll get'em straightened out LOL

Nah, don't quit and don't force! Let mamma nature decide those issues and meanwhile capitalize on the extended season by providing good light and nutrition, they need to build those tubers. Also when dormancy does appear, try to not dry or kill off the plant too quickly, the nutrient reserves stored in the leaves and stems will be translocated to the tubers over time, if you provide the time. I never had this species, but would call your efforts a success. Now, continue this success and show me some flowers, hmmmm?

Last edited:
looked through my pics and evidently i didnt take pictures of the flowers....will do the next time it does....my main frustration is that there should be some dormant tubers in that pot.....some died back, others didnt....so following the advise of Pyro ive done several things to try and get the rest to go dormant.....instead they keep growing.....so now instead of treating it like a Drosera, im treating it as a succulant house plant and watering it every 7-10 days......not letting it sit in a tray and just pick up what moisture it does while i let water run through its pot.....main concern is loosing those tubers that have gone dormant while the rest are still actively growing.....

Here you go, from last year

zigzagiabloom1119071.jpg

Back