Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuberous Sundew help: Temps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem! Even so, I was probably being a bit too optimistic.

I should be able to find a Peltata/Auriculata at the LACPS meeting on the 21st. If it does end up doing well and I find out what works, then maybe I'll go gradually up to more challenging ones like you said.

Thanks,

-Johnny
    Grower of Drosera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll thank Pyro for that correctiion regarding the importance of temperature variances. Here in Upstate NY, we get a good differential at almost all times of the year and my observations and experience with this group are limited. Warm weather always sent some into dormancy, esp. the rosetted species, but the climbing species were not so quick to go.

Don't feel bad Johnny, when Phill Mann stayed with me back in the 70's he brought me a collection of tuber's I weep over still. BIG tubers! I was living in a trailer and had only a terrarium in a sunny window with some flourescents over it. I failed with every one of those tubers. These plants are best grown outdoors. SIGH, we can always admire the photo's, right?

If I remember correctly, I had Drosera whittakerii growing when my pygmy species were blooming fully, say around May or June. Temps were in the 70;s and max 80's with a 5-10 nightime drop. For me this was the easiest of the rosetted species. Remember, it's always fun to try, even if there's only a little hope of success.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamlin Dawnstar View Post
    Remember, it's always fun to try, even if there's only a little hope of success.
    never hurts to try.....just is best to have realistic expectations going in......ive learned interesting things about CP's doing things my own way and not following "the rules" but its usually best to establish a baseline to go from before you start going off the beaten path and the best way to do this is to follow the advise of those that have had success......starting with peltata and such and doing your best with them will establish this baseline for yah Johnny......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this thread and since it is relevant to my question I post it here if you dont mind:
    UPDATE: I have a question. The weather here is beginning to look like the spring one...finally (God that was a long winter!). So I placed the pots with tubers outside to get some sun. To my sincere joy I doscovered that Drosera whittakeri ssp. aberrans is waking up (and also D. menziesii ssp. menziesii-but is too small to take picture with my sh.tty camera). Others are still sleeping. So since some started active growth I began to sprinkle some water on the substrate. My question is about the temperature: during the day it is 10-17C so it is ok but at night we still experience 1-4C sometimes. Are the growing plants in danger if I leave them outside 24/7? Thanks:-) Some pics:

detail:

(I hope for some flowers soon:-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Klasac,

Growing outside 24/7 under the conditions you describe should be fine. In my sunroom my plants experience temps down to freezing and do just fine. The big thing to remember is to protect them from frosts, especially a hard frost. Other than that you should be good.

Cheers
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Pyro!

We do not expect any sub-zero temperatures so the plants should be fine. Cant wait for the other tubers to come out! :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a question about D. whittakeri ssp. aberrans......is it a slow grower?> Because we have had perfect weather lately and after two weeks from the shot above it looks like this:

I am afraid she will not have enough time to grow before it gets too hot (in 2 months)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so now is the right time to lenghten the photoperiod of tubers and time to make them dry? Mine is just a seedling so i dont really know what to do.

http://cpforums.org/gallery/v/Halt/d_+peltata.jpg.html
    78F 64%RH

http://cpforums.org/gallery/v/Halt/d...culta.jpg.html

http://cpforums.org/gallery/v/Halt/P...-7-09.JPG.html
    from 3-7-09

so is it about time to go dormant? :/ its pretty small.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast