What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, figured out this "Macro" thing on my new camera. :)

Pygmy D. Scorp.:
IMG_0057.jpg

Pygmy D. pulchella x nitidula:
IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

(Not shown: The 60+ gemmae spread throughout that pot)

A very unhappy D. Adelae:
IMG_0063.jpg

Cape Sundew Alba + baby:
IMG_0072.jpg

Cape Sundew Typical + baby + weird growth:
IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

D. Binata T-Form coming back from the dead:
IMG_0067.jpg

D. dichotoma 'Giant'?:
IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

Gonna take more tomorrow when there's sun. :)

Nice photography, but everything seems like it could use more light. Even adelae can use more light. Try to get light where your adelae turns completely red and the rest get red glands. Where do you grow everything? On a windosill? I've found that binata on a windowsill will produce sickly green leaves while under lights it will produce solid red leaves.

Well, I should have pointed out that those pictures were taken around 8 at night, with the window blinds closed, so yeah, would definitely be dark in them. :) I just took another photo just now at 8 AM, and will take another at 10, 12, 2, 4... so I can show you what kinda light they get during the day. Hopefully they are getting enough.

I'm not sure the darkness levels in the photos is what Mr. Truncata meant when he said they need more light. They plants themselves are to green and look sickly. From the looks of it you don't use any growlights at all. Windows filter out a lot of the rays that the plants need from the sun, and even if the window was open it's doubtful that the sun shines through it for 8+ hours.

We arn't knocking your growing skills. Just trying to offer some constructive criticism so your plants look more beautiful. If you don't like the look of fluorescent only a couple inches away from you plants then I would recommend at least three or four incandescent at the very minimum.

Well, fiddlesticks!

I have a plant rack getting set up in the main part of the apartment but the lights aren't ready yet, and I really wasn't anticipating needing to move all my plants into it -- especially the bigger ones like the D. dichotoma. I should have room to do so if I really need to, but... bleh!

Although, The only ones I was intending to leave out of the rack was the D. Dichotoma, the D. Tracyi (which was heading outside), The Saars (outside once it warms up) and maybe the Nep. Hm.

I thought they looked just fine, for the most part they're growing quite well -- the D. Dichotoma, for example, is growing like an inch or two each day.

They're just not getting the really vibrant color that you'd see outside, but, I never anticipated getting the really bright reds on them in the windowsill.

everything.jpg

Here's my current setup, please forgive the weird contrast, the extra brightness in the window keeps throwing the camera's indoor/outdoor sensor off. It's much brighter in there than it appears.

I'm just not quite sure where I could fit any lights in, outside of maybe moving my plant rack from the kitchen to the bedroom. I have a single desk lamp with a CF Flood Light on top of my LFS setup, and it seems to be helping a bit. Maybe adjust things around a bit so I could get 2 bigger desk lamps pointing at each table?

Quite a few of the pots have strawberry seedlings that are being given away / moved outside in the spring, so, a lot of that space is going to clear up, too. Might even move some of the bigger CPs outside once nights aren't freezing here in Idaho...

rack.jpg

I have this pretty much ready to go except I accidentally got a "commercial" fluorescent light setup when I should have gotten something with a power cord, and haven't had the chance to get back to the store to get that swapped out.

It's a standard 48" x whatnot rack, so it would fit just fine in front of the windows, if that's the route I need to take.

What I try to do is have plant rack next to the windows but add fluorescent lighting.

Nice photography, but everything seems like it could use more light. Even adelae can use more light. Try to get light where your adelae turns completely red and the rest get red glands. Where do you grow everything? On a windosill? I've found that binata on a windowsill will produce sickly green leaves while under lights it will produce solid red leaves.

Hm, just re-read this. The Adelae is in shock due to the move, and the rest actually do have red glands, it's just hard to see in the photos. What they don't have is red leaves, but, yeah. But the ends of their tentacles? Definitely red, except for my Albas.

So I got my new setup moved to the window:

NewRack.jpg

I am not sure as to the placement of the plants, though:

NewRack2-1.jpg

NewRack2-2.jpg

NewRack2-3.jpg

Some (anything that looks vaguely like a strawberry) are going outside in the spring, so... there is that.

Right now my major concerns are the plants above casting shadows, the topmost shelf not GETTING any light, and the part in between the two windows blocking light on the right side of the shelfs.

The bottommost rack, the one in line with the windowsill bottom, is 18" below the one in line with the top of the bookshelf, and the one on top of that is 14" above that one. Is that too high up for the lights?

Remove those opaque pieces of plastic if you want more light to reach your plants. If you want them to get more light put them as close to the window as possible.

Rack.jpg

Rack as of today. New additions are in the upper right (D. multifida extrema), on the windowsill (Darlingtonia), and next to the grey pot (U. sandersonii "blue").

Ping.jpg

Really like how this one's taking off. I repotted it and have it closer to the windowsill, and have been feeding it bloodworms. Over the winter it grew a grand total of like 5 leaves. I count 16 new ones.

Nice. It looks like you have some utrics in the pot with the forked sundew pot.

Nice. It looks like you have some utrics in the pot with the forked sundew pot.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what those were, thank you for reminding me to ask.

I have no idea how to ID them, hopefully they'll live for a few months until they flower. :)

I am really proud of the Pinguicula moranensis exploding. I donno if it's the repotting, or the heavy dusting of dried bloodworm food, or being moved closer to the window, or what, but I'm not kidding -- over the winter it grew like 5 or 6 leaves total and they were all weird looking, but now... 16 all in a nice dense cluster.

... Man, I hope it doesn't need dormancy. If it does, it's not getting it this year, heh.

Nice setup!

Yeah, I wasn't sure what those were, thank you for reminding me to ask.

I have no idea how to ID them, hopefully they'll live for a few months until they flower. :)

If they are from that certain California nursery, then I'll almost guarantee they are U. bisquamata. I get some with almost everything I order from there.

Nice setup!

If they are from that certain California nursery, then I'll almost guarantee they are U. bisquamata. I get some with almost everything I order from there.

That's crazy, this is the first time out of 4 orders that I've gotten any guest plants. :) And yeah, looking at some pictures of live U. Bisquamata the leaves are very similar to the leaves I have popping up in the Extrema pot.

I don't mind but it does mess up my plans to repot, as I'll likely wait until the guest plants are doing a little bit better before doing so now. But then again I probably don't need to be repotting immediately anyway, heh.

Back