Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Drosera graomogolensis

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NaN, root cuttings are extremely easy, at least for me. I treat the cuttings just like any other dew: throw in a ziplock bag on top of damp LFS and wait. I've heard that leaf cuttings are tough, roots are the way to go.

Extremely nice plants! Mine don't have the nifty twist like yours.

Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK I just swapped another D. graomogolensis....now I have 3 specimens....that gives me some room to experiment to find about the best conditions. If no one has any more tips of how to grow them without killings then I just have to go on trial-error method. Keep my fingers crossed! :-)
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-05-2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I don't know what your outdoor temperatures are like right now but I suspect they are fairly chilly.

I would grow them indoors under lights which is what most people do. My grow rack is optimized for Sarracenia seedlings and not Drosera which is why I have it on the window sill until it can go back outdoors. If I can't get the signature red color of this plant outdoors I'll have to set up an indoor system for it.

Most South American Drosera grow in tropical highland conditions. To me that demands an airy potting mix (at least 60 percent perlite and/or coarse sand) and a nightly temperature drop of at least 10F (6C) and top watering without a lot of standing water. Most South American Drosera (especially this species) have massive roots which also means a deep pot.

Personally I would lose the "death cube" you've put it in unless of course you have no alternatives.

BTW the previous threads on this species by Tamlin say it is easy to grow and propagate. Perhaps the master will give us some pointers.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi NaN! I dont grow them outdoors because the temperatures can go below zero and it is only 3-7C here these days. I grew D. graomogolensis together with other tropical Drosera (D. affinis, D. slackii, D. dielsiana, D. collinsiae,...etc). In the terrarium there was nice and warm (about 27C day) but maybe too warm for highland tropical....especially at night when I couldnt give her temperature drop (temps around 21C). So now i did 2 things:
    1.I repotted 2 of them and used 50/50 mix of perlite and live chopped Sphagnum with Sphagnum dressing
    2.I placed D. graomogolensis in a separate terrarium where she gets lots of light and the temps in the day are 24-26C and at night I will put her close to the window where there is about 15C.
    This is what the setup looks like (I skipped fan to keep humidity higher)

Detail of 2 plants (hopefully they will get better):

I hope this will help:-)
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-05-2009 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking if it still goes down the hill with them my last resort will be to take some leaf cuttings. I found this on french forum...it says that is takes long to get new plants from D. graomogolensis leaf cuttings. The ones in the picture were made in summer and new plants emerged the next spring. Here is the link:
    http://www.forumcarnivore.org/ftopic13520.php
    They simply laid the leafs on peat covered by live Sphagnum and keep it wet under strong lights while the temperatures are not too high.

Or do you think root cuttings will be better/faster?
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-05-2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if using water propagation on those would work -- That is, just taking the leaf and throwing it in a container of distilled water and leaving it there for a few months to get baby plants.

Might be something to try...

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no experience propagating this plant. Butch has had no luck with leaf cuttings/pullings and he tried just about every known method and probably a few new ones (he's very clever). From the looks of the roots, I'd say root cuttings is the way to go which Crissytal will probably confirm.

Let's see what Tamlin has to say.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would personally recommend root cuttings. I have read that leaf cuttings are very difficult to impossible. I believe only one person was able to get successful strikes with leaves. Roots however are very easy.

These root cuttings took a few weeks to sprout. I transplanted them from the bag to a pot on 10/23/08. This is what they look like today. Forgive the quarter, it's all I could find for size reference.

This is how I get my root cuttings started. These are recent, cut on 2/10/09. No sprouts yet.

And my mother plants. The small one on the right didn't like me digging up it's roots. It's nothing it won't recover from.

Mine are growing in a mix of LFS and perlite. It was recommended to grow them completely in live LFS but I didn't have enough at the time so I just used a top layer. I was top watering mine, but I now have it sitting in water so the moss will be happier. The temperatures stay below 80F (so far) and no cooler than around 63F. Humidity is low, I took time to get it used to my 25% by placing a bag with hole cut in it (to keep it from cooking) over the top of the pot. Over time the holes were made larger until I finally took the bag off.

Crystal

EDIT: NaN beat me to it .
    Last edited by Crissytal; 03-05-2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: edit
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast