Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: (pics) D. adelae - First timer vs. Lowe's deathbox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    You will want to have it totally opened and the light that shines from a southern exposure window, eventually.

Ok, I'm working them toward that now. I have them sitting under a small southern window where they'll get direct early morning sun, and I'm gradually reducing their humidity.

I think they'll be able to spend some quality time outside soon. I'll ease them into it slowly. Our temp range is about 65-95 in summer ("summer" here is from about mid-May to mid-October), and it's very humid here - especially in my back yard which is on a creek and at the bottom of a big basin.

I look forward to seeing them glistening with red dew and coated with mosquitos and gnats before summer is over.

Also, it already looks like the "good" leaves remaining would rather die and turn into plantlets than continue to catch sunlight. One of the leaf tips has wilted, fallen into contact with the LFS, and has *already* put out two wispy little filaments - from the wilted tip into the LFS - that look just like the tiny hair roots all the plantlets had. The suggestion to cut it all the way back is looking better all the time.

This really is a weed. Is there any way this plant doesn't propagate? LOL...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Your plant will transition to looking like this:

and then this:

Heh... I can definitely see Hobby Creep setting in already. One plant has become two (and could have been ten if I'd saved all the sprouts), and plans are being laid for more plants of different species. I doubt it will be more than a year before I have bins of these things all over the place just like you guys.

I think I'm a long way from the awesome specimens and manicured live sphagnum you veterans have, but it's already enjoyable even in the deli-tub-over-a-sprout phase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice pictures! I've killed 2 of these Lowes Deathcube Adelaes, but the latest one came from a reputable online nursery and seems to be surviving. Of course, it wasn't happy at all until I got the new grow lights -- so now I'm worried it's getting too much light!

It's in standard peat+perlite right now, I repotted it into a bigger pot by just sliding out the old media directly into the new pot and filling around it... Might try pure LFS though.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. adelae can also be enigmatic. They can grow real well and spread like a bad rumor and then dieback without any discernible provocation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny you mention being enigmatic, and spreading. I already have a stowaway.

I looked into the sprout's pot today and saw a new, miniscule speck of... green. Now, I just put this sprout, by itself, into a fresh pot of just-soaked LFS. Being a newb, I don't know if this little speck is from a D. adelae root or seed or something that got in there, or if it's the sphagnum growing. I *think* it's a Drosera sprout, though.

It's incredibly tiny, whatever it is. Life finds a way...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In no time you could have a tray like mine! This was started with just 3 babies, in less than a year it's like this:

Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the right plant. Ironically, the plantlets have a circular shape that gradually become lance-leafed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyr View Post
    In no time you could have a tray like mine! This was started with just 3 babies, in less than a year it's like this:

Hahaha... that's insane. Does any other CP match or outpace D. adelae's ability to spam-propagate itself like that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast