Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Northern Dew Growers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Northern Dew Growers

Hi,
    When do the US temperate species, i.e., D. rotundifolia break dormancy, flower, etc, in the Northern US? I am talking in situ(or bog garden, I guess).

Thanks,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. binata, D. x hybrida, D. intermedia and D. filiformis have come easily out of dormancy a few weeks ago here in Iowa when the temps got above 50 degrees. (these were in an unheated shed "greenhouse" over the winter, so it's a little different than having them straight-up in a bog garden, but it's close enough. I haven't had any experience with D rotundifolia going dormant yet as I've only been growing this plant for a half year from leaf cuttings.
    The Filiformis tends to flower earlier- spring to early summer, while D. intermedia will flower in the latter part of the summer and produce their largest, most robust flowers near the end of the growing season, when the temps begin to cool down.
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In upstate NY both Drosera rotundifolia and D. intermedia break dormancy in miid-April, flower in June and begin the slide towards dormancy about late July to August. Drosera filiformis is not endemic, but begin to show growth about the same time as the Sarracenia they overwinter with in my conditions.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be surprised if Rotundifolia didn't come out of dormancy until Mid may or June with this late spring in SE Alaska.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586