Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 16 Hour Photoperiod Okay?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on your room temperature it COULD affect them. I have mine in no lower then 75 degrees and a high of about 84-85. The lights do add some temperature to them though. Your mix sounds just fine as well as the watering. Give them some time maybe? I had a few which I thought were going down hill but I just let them be and adapt and they look just fine now. I still have some D. occidentalis that just dont look as good as my other pygmies, hardly any dew but they grow like normal so i'm assuming it's the lights though they're 3 inches away from them...

Maybe check for fungus gnats or try rinsing the peat if you dont already do so when potting? That's really all i can think of : /

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    16 hours has worked very well for me. Seems like an ideal photoperiod, since it encourages all of my sundews to flower. What size of pots are you using for the pygmies? I know they like larger pots, but haven't had trouble using 4-inchers. It seems to me that the only thing that truly encourages pygmy dormancy is when I let the media dry out. They flower and grow like crazy even in higher temps and long photoperiod as long as the media is sufficiently moist. So since it looks like you're already giving everything enough water, I really don't know what the problem would be.
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've moved the struggling ones to the terrarium / heated fishtank. Maybe that'll perk them up. It's only about 85 F in there and more humid. Same lighting and I turn the heater off for the night. We'll see what that does. Thanks for the feedback.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimscott, in Australia the summer photoperiod is 13-14 hours. The autumm photoperiod is about 10-11 hours. Pygmies go dormant during summer months. Last November, many species were already dormant and done with flowering when the day temperatures were 63-68F.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever since day 1, my terra has been on a 16 hour photoperiod (5am-9pm), i've had a capensis, binata multifida and an aliciae and they are thriving. since then, i've added anglica, rotundifolia, lanata and adelae.
    i do realise that the temperates need to come out in late summer, as to induce dormancy... but they love it in there.
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a small pot of pygmies which I've been growing for about a year and a half now. They get around a 16 hour photoperiod as well, it depends on how long I'm awake. Since all my plants grow on a table next to my bed, facing a north window > As far as I can tell, they have had no issues receiving light for such an extended period of time. I will say, they are in a state of permanent bloom though, and I have had a horrible time getting them to produce gemmae. I would love to get some gemmae, so I could repot my current batch with some insurance, but that's off topic.

The only time these plants have looked bad is when I left them here on spring break. That meant 9 days without any fluorescent light, and a closed shade on a north facing window. Essentially no photoperiod. They are still recovering. ;-)
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    Jimscott, in Australia the summer photoperiod is 13-14 hours. The autumm photoperiod is about 10-11 hours. Pygmies go dormant during summer months. Last November, many species were already dormant and done with flowering when the day temperatures were 63-68F.
    I know! So why are we all trying to provide 16 hours? Does 16 hours of fluorescent light or that which shines through the window offset 13 hours of direct sunlight?

Here are pictures from the same rack, showing sundews that are thriving and those that are struggling.

I'm thinking that there were a couple times when the tray was essentially dry, combined with the leaching of something bad in the water, causing a surface film. But I can't prove that.

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, at least your capensis is doing well!
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast