What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regias

We've got 2 weeks forcasted to have highs in the 60's and 70's, with overnight lows in the 40's and 50's. No more frosts. Is that safe for them? I can put the pot under chairs to minimize shock.

Sounds perfect, those are the temps when mine seem happiest

for all those who think regia is difficult to grow, I have been growing mine on a windowsill for two years and it grows very happily rights along with my cape sundews and others. The trick is intense light and lots of it.

for all those who think regia is difficult to grow, I have been growing mine on a windowsill for two years and it grows very happily rights along with my cape sundews and others. The trick is intense light and lots of it.

Do you supplement the window light?

not at all. all natural light! The plant does grow smaller in winter however, this could be overcome with artificial lighting

Mine was on a southern exposure windo sill that drew the cold from the outside. I could never get the leaves to be more than inch long, and it was always a pattern of one leaf emerging, one leaf peaking, and one leaf declining. I now have it on the grow rack, with artificial lighting supplementing the window. It's also been feasting, when it had not during the winter. It still has the same pattern but the leaves are now 3 inches long. I'd like it to have multiple peaking leaves and it just isn't happening. Not at all sure why.

mine appears to be producing a bit smaller leaves now- around 4-5 inches instead of 6-7. we had a warmer spell here for a few weeks, but i'm sure this summer they'll get even smaller (or die all the way back) unless my mom and sister (<--- main issue) lets me keep move them to my basement for the summer. The few I have down there right now are doing amazing well, with the cooler temps and higher humidity.

Get the Regias down there too! They'll thank you for it by thriving.

BTW, this Regia was one of my first plants... moved from Cali to LI to BK and back to LI
Been through some tough times, but it always returned from it's roots when conditions improved.

Here's an update from that reddish Regia that was emerging from it's dormancy:

RegiaPotBigS.jpg

RegiaHeadOnS.jpg

Looking kinda hungry, these plants are quite voracious. Looks like it's feeding time at the Zoo!

Wow. One of the best looking dews I've ever seen. Great job. :D

How in the world do you get more than one leaf in a given plant to be peaking? BTW, mine has been outside for the past 2 weeks and it hasn't reacted. I just took a picture. Not impressive, but growing:

Picture006-5.jpg

well, yours looks like it's getting a lot bigger, jim. Unfortunately my D. 'Big Easy' is forming a dormant bud now since temps are in the 85F range. The roots are sticking through the bottom of my 6 inch pot though, so maybe I'll take a few cuttings now... It definitely seems that if you use LFS like I do, and the media is too wet (which is typically the case for me), it seems that the leaves yellow up much quicker, and start to decline. Who knows...

We're about to have an overnight low ~38 F. Can it tolerate that cold?

Looks like it needs much more light... I give mine a lot of it. I use flourescents so I don't have to worry about burning.
Cool temps and lots of light seem to be the key requirments for Regias from what I could tell.

Should be alright for that cold I would think.

What I did was move the plants right up against the glass door, leaving the screen shut, and opened it up for the night. That should buffer the temps. I looked at them this morning and the regia / capensis seemed fine. More light? They're out on the porch, SE->SW, 24/7. Well... they were under a table for a week before full sun.

Back