Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Regias

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My little 1" high regia starter looks rather stressed to me.

I currently have it in a standard CP mix (peat/perlite) with dead LFS as a moist top-dressing.

It's under a plastic baggie for humidity reasons. BUT, every time I trim off a tiny corner for ventilation a leaf tip turns black.

Getting this regia to settle-in to lower humidity is truly a bear. I'm also concerned about too high of humidity and the possibility of molds accumulating on my plant.

How susceptible are regias to molds and fungus? I remember my previous regias molding away to their death quite quickly. Call me paranoid I guess. [shrug]

thanks,
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPlantaholic View Post
    Evidently, the D. 'Big Easy' can handle higher temps well compared to the normal variety- I'll have to test that out this summer though.
    I 'summered' my 'Big Easy' outside here in NJ for 2 years. The 1st year, it was stressed but pulled through fine. The 2nd year it died when the heat hit. So far, this species & I have not been compatible - at some point - I hope to change that ....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    Hah. We'll see if NASC decides to send me again or not; although, I'm looking at moving and may end up somewhere on the east coast so it might just be within driving distance regardless.

Well if that's the case I might just stay home!

xvart.
    Well, I'll still be one of the last people at the bar!
    Those dollar drafts made Sunday a bit tough though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for Regias... Big Easy are more tolerant of heat. But they're still no Capes, which grow much better under cool conditions as well.

Heat tolerance: well after a few months the plant will like it less and less. Probably start to die back and put out smaller leaves that brown quickly.
    If conditions improve through the Fall to the Winter, it will come back. Do that year after year and it will not like you for it but survive and never flourish.
    They do return from their roots from some pretty bad-looking situations though!

I think the colder it gets in the Winter, the more heat it can take in the Summer, but don't quote me on that.
    I don't let mine get over 75F(including the growlights) in the Summer, extended periods over 80F and you're asking for trouble. Especially with Regias(non-Big Easy)!

Cool & bright is what you should be looking for if you want to grow these guys....
    Under a Basement window(for cold Winter temps, decent Summer temps), A/C, something like that. They love Sunlight, but I just grow em under lights. Right under the lights.

I never had a problem with humidity, the baggie might actually be the problem you're having Fryster.

The Regia I've had since August 03 and the Big Easy since Oct 05 btw

Hope that helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just left my big easy out in the greenhouse this winter. I thought I lost it due to pests and it being moved all over the house, but I found a sprout off the base yesterday!

I was really shocked.

It's actually a pretty hardy plant.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put the plug into a bigger pot. It didn't notice the change. I wish I had the dynamics of our previous place of residence - a coldish window between the upper and lower apartments. The window sill gets a little cold but not cold enough in the winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my regia about 6" away from my T12 cool white lights, lowest shelf. It seems to be a constant 80F right now in the Spring/Summer.

Is that too warm you think??
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryster View Post
    I have my regia about 6" away from my T12 cool white lights, lowest shelf. It seems to be a constant 80F right now in the Spring/Summer.

Is that too warm you think??
    Quote Originally Posted by quogue View Post
    Heat tolerance: well after a few months the plant will like it less and less. Probably start to die back and put out smaller leaves that brown quickly.
    If conditions improve through the Fall to the Winter, it will come back. Do that year after year and it will not like you for it but survive and never flourish.
    They do return from their roots from some pretty bad-looking situations though!

I think the colder it gets in the Winter, the more heat it can take in the Summer, but don't quote me on that.
    I don't let mine get over 75F(including the growlights) in the Summer, extended periods over 80F and you're asking for trouble. Especially with Regias(non-Big Easy)!
    If it's 80F this early in Spring... by August/Sept I don't think the plant will be too happy Fryster.

Either a basement or this sounds like a good spot to grow a Regia:
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    I wish I had the dynamics of our previous place of residence - a coldish window between the upper and lower apartments. The window sill gets a little cold but not cold enough in the winter.
    I'd try growing the Regia in morning sunlight outdoors as soon as you don't have to worry about freezing/frosts Jimscott.
    Although I must admit, the English growers would have more experience growing these outdoors in the cold than I do.
    I grow my plants indoors in a basically unheated room that's A/Ced during the worst of Summer.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast