What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introducing D. Capensis to the wild...huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKxFs7Ia9UI

Found this randomly...and I'm not really sure of the point of this video. If this person happens to be one of yall, I'm not judging...but introducing Capensis to woods, streams, gardens, and lawns seem really odd, much less ecologically sound. Don't think they'll survive anyway.

that is random...lol they just walk on the one path and theres a pot just there waiting to be planted, but ive heard they are pretty hardy growing in tons of different soils so if undisturbed they might survive, some grow in miracle grow and ive heard some people having them grow in there yard...also i think they are able to go dormant too

As awesome as it would be to have another CP available in the wild it's an issue that should be taken very seriously. Introducing new species can collapse ENTIRE ecosystems. Take lake Victoria for example. Introduction of game fish caused an extreme amount of damage to the fish wildlife eradicating many species of fish endemic only to lake Victoria. These species are now extinct due to this introduction. Many other examples can be witnessed world wide (lake Michigan and MANY more) in people's want to create something more 'fun' or for their enjoyment.

Introducing new species is very very dangerous as the outcome is unforeseeable until it is too late to reverse the damage. Grow CPs for your enjoyment but dont let that joy become a threat to other species!

They don't look especially healthy, and the only location that looked bright enough was that grassy patch on the street which is likely mowed regularly. What's bothersome is that this person obviously thinks this is something cool or funny to do.
~Joe

i think another example of a bad introduction of a new species were the water hyacinths into the southern US, now people are trying to kill them off because they reproduce to fast, think it said in the best conditions they can double there population in 1-2weeks, they block waterways, prevent water circulation making the water stagnant (think thats the word), hard for traveling by boats, kills off basically all fish and things that live in the water...another bad thing is it provide a perfect habitat for mosquitos to breed

Oh snap crackle pop! Quick put comments saying this is a bad idea! LOL.

Yeah, Cape Sundews already infest all my pots without trying, I'd hate to see them in the wild where they're not expected. This would be, um, bad.

yea crucify me for feeling this way, but I can't help feeling giddy thinking of seeing sundews growing rampant. Especially one of Capensis's showy caliber. More sundews = awesome.

yea crucify me for feeling this way, but I can't help feeling giddy thinking of seeing sundews growing rampant. Especially one of Capensis's showy caliber. More sundews = awesome.

Except when the Cape Sundews kill off all the Pitcher Plants and natural Sundews in an area.

Read up on Kudzu sometime. Introduced species = bad, even if they're attractive.

Yes, a very bad idea. Drosera capensis have been introduced to the Albion Bog here in California and it looks like they are displacing the native Drosera rotundifolia.

D. rotundifolia is widespread in Europe.

Except when the Cape Sundews kill off all the Pitcher Plants and natural Sundews in an area.

Read up on Kudzu sometime. Introduced species = bad, even if they're attractive.

Yea i know about kudzu and water hyacinths. There are some D. Capensis in Florida too. And VFts in NJ and Florida. I'm not agreeing with the youtuber's action--seemed more like an art project.

If someone could hybridize capensis with kudzu they could take over the world...

Edit: On a serious note, I can only conclude the video is some lame attempt at humor I don't get. According to the dots on the map, they tried to plant these things all over Northern Europe, and you see the sites: lawns, forest floors, containers of potting soil, etc. If it was a serious attempt at introducing capensis, it's a completely uneducated and doomed one.

Back