What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

capensis flowering options?

First capensis for me - got it a couple weeks ago. As you can see it's eating well and seems to be enjoying itself outside in the NC humidity and sun. Until October or so, anyway, then I'll bring it inside for Winter.

Anyway, about how long do I have until this flower opens up and does its business? I might be interested in germinating some seeds, but I don't think I want to let it just spew itself all over the other pots.

Anyone care to share some tips on controlled harvesting of capensis seeds?

Is it too late to snip the stalk entirely without undue stress?

fkvacg.png

2jam0xh.png

The flowers mature from the bottom up (lowest flowers open first). You can carefully monitor each seed pod and cut them off when the pod has blackened but before it splits open or dries out enough to release seed. The seeds should continue to ripen and dry out "off the vine" unless you collected the pod too soon. Once you've collect enough ripe pods you can cut the stalk.

The other alternative would be to bag the flowers with a fine enough mesh to hold the seeds. A tobacco bag for roll-your-own cigarettes might work.

Thanks, NaN - I'll probably go with the watch-them-blacken method. About how many seeds come out of each seed pod? I've read that capensis cranks out a lot of seeds, so maybe one pod would be enough to harvest for my purposes.

Thanks, NaN - I'll probably go with the watch-them-blacken method. About how many seeds come out of each seed pod? I've read that capensis cranks out a lot of seeds, so maybe one pod would be enough to harvest for my purposes.

If you use a toothpick to tease the stigmas and anthers together, you'll get a very high seed yield off of each pod. If you want enough to germinate a clump of them, a few pods is enough. If you want an army, harvest them all. Even with careful watching, you're probably going to end up with some stray seedlings unless you do the wrapping method. It's not really that big of a deal if you pluck them out while young.

Jason

You can give seeds to kids or a school or donate to the ICPS.

Back