User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's see HOW your grow your Dews!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you wash peat? I've never heard of that. What does washing it do to make it non-anoxic? Does it wash out all the water browning tannins and peat fines or something...?

Around here they sell a 1 ft x 2 ft square bale of Canadian sphagnum peat for about $4 it's rather fine stuff though, not chunky.

But I do already have a huge bale of coir, do you think that might stand up longer or be as good as chunky peat if I mix it with quartzite grit?

Yes, I wouldn't need a huge rubber maid like that one, I'm not that good with seeds other than Daturas but as an experiment it might be fun to try and see if I can get some to sprout. I've got a bunch of those 6 qt clear ones (about 7" W x 12"L x 4"D).

Really? Sundews don't need a humidity cover and lights can be right up to them? That's interesting! I could potentially have sundews and succulents on the same shelf then as long as my dews are on water trays? That would be awesome! Yes, the redder the bedder!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ swords- I was instructed to rinse my peat by Tamlin, and, after doing so, I haven't had any fungus, gnat or (insert problem here) any other issues so far. His method (described as best as I can remember) involves filling a 5 gallon bucket or larger with peat moss. Then fill it near to the top with rain water (or RO/DI). Let it sit for a week. Ring it out (grab a clump of it and squeeze the water out), and place it in another bucket (or re-use the same one after dumping all the gunk out). The finer stuff settles to the bottom (some of this can be saved). Then repeat the first step, and in another week, you'll have thoroughly rinsed peat.

However, I normally have to pot stuff up right away, so I use the same approach, but slightly modified.
    I use tap water, and rinse 2+ times, rining the peat out each time. Then I finish off by rinsing it 2 times with rain, di, or ro water. It can be a painstaking process, but it sure beats algae growth and smelly media.
    I do notice that if you use steaming hot water, it will take out a considerable amount of tannins on your first tap water rinses. If you let it sit out in the sun, using Tamlins approach, it should do the same. Just takes longer...

@Halt- Thanks for the interest in the site! With xantius' help, I've changed my password, and this will hopefully keep the hacker program at bay. I don't know how they figured it out in the first place though...
    I've checked it several times now, and so far there's no sign of a return.
    I will be updating a ton in the next month before summer physics and research starts this summer.
    I apologize for the viruses anyone may have gotten before I was informed about this problem.
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it sure beats algae growth and smelly media.
    I'm sure it does! I will definitely try this when I repot my plants. Thanks for the info!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't use coir for sundews - when left in water, it rots a lot faster than Sphagnum-based materials. Save it for your hanging baskets.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    I'd like to see some shots of how you guys grow your plants. I'm just getting into Dews and am interested to see all your various actual setups (diff for pygmies?)....
    Swords,
    I may have missed this someplace (because I just scanned the thread) but generalizing about dews can lead to failure with a number of plants. Like a lot of our CPs, there is a wide range of conditions in which various species find a comfort level. It sounds like you're looking for conditions for the plants in the middle of the bell curve - but also realize there are plants that need highland, others need lowland, some high humidity, some low, some winter growers, some temperate summer growers, some need a really cold dormancy & .... on & on ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have lots of sundews germinating now, thanks to CPlantaholic. I'll post pics of my current setup, but I don't know what I'll do once flower stalks get too high. i was just reading about burmanii's tall stalks, and I'm scared.

I also have VFTs in here germinating wonderfully. Beautiful tiny pink and green traps.

It gets to be over 100 degrees in there without the fan. I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer on the bottom of the rack there, and have the outdoor wire running up and just under the saran wrap to tell me the temp. It's usually between 82 and 85 fahrenheit when the lights are on. I keep them on from 6am to 10pm.
    Tim

Grow List

bogspot - my blog about my plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENroaches View Post
    I have lots of sundews germinating now, thanks to CPlantaholic. I'll post pics of my current setup, but I don't know what I'll do once flower stalks get too high. i was just reading about burmanii's tall stalks, and I'm scared.
    If the stalk starts to get too high, what I do is take a small metal chain link or fixture hanging hook and let that dangle on the stalk. It pulls the stalk horizontal and can be moved if it begins to get too tall again.

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a small part of my set-up. Lots of water, humidity,warmth and of course, light:-)

Other sundews I grow outside for the summer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast