What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help with localization

Hi! Along with other species I have these 2 south american drosera in my collection. Since the variability of the species is great I would like to know whether or not it is possible to determine where these plants come from just by looking at them. My drosera roraimae just started growing. I think it might be "Gran Sabana, Venezuela" (does not form rosette and the leaves grow alternately on the vertical stem) but i can be wrong. I would like to hear a more educated guess if possible:
DSCF0010-3.jpg

Second species is d. ascendens and since there is over 12 localization types available on the market i think it is hard to say where this one comes from. To me is looks like "Serra do Quiriri, Garuva, Santa Catarina, Brasil"......but again i might be mistaken. Unfortunately I do not have any pics of flowers nor seeds:-(
DSCF0015-3.jpg

Thanx for help!

I could be very wrong on this, but I once read there was only one location that D. graomogolensis grows. I think I read it as Itacambira, MG, Brazil. If you look up the name on google, you can probably find the full name. Yours does have pretty slender leaves, but it could just be due to different growing conditions.

Hi CPlantaholic! I think you are right about d. graomogolensis but my question was about d. ascendens and d. roraimae.

o geez, i was up wayyy to late last night and failed to read... the pic looked similar to the Graomogolensis you posted a while ago...
It is definitely a bit to early to judge the D. ascendens since there are soooo many locations. Also, growers with the same location plant in different growing conditions have different-looking plants as well.

And I have seen D. roraime (Gran Sabana) that looks somewhat like your plant, but I think you should wait until it has larger leaves (and a greater quantity of them) to be safe.

Thanx CPlantaholic:) With d. ascendens I guess I will have to wait for flowers and seeds and try to compare then. D. roraimae seems to be Gran Sabana. Sorry it has only few leaves I picked off the poor plant for tissue culture. Hope she will forgive me and grow many new leaves soon:)

Back