What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I didn't TRY to murder them....

Okay, I was trimming dead leaves off my Drosera Adelae, and I noticed two of those roots growing off the stem. Mind you, this is a vey important part of this question. While I was trimming, I thought, "If I accidentally clipped off the stem under those roots and I planted the top, would it grow???" I decided I shouldn't possibly endanger the health of my plant, so I resumed clipping, and the NEXT CUT OF THE SCISSORS CUT THE STEM RIGHT BELOW THE ROOTS!!!!:headwall: After I calmed down some, I planted the top in the lfs, and now wondered what would happen to the stalk that was still in the ground, since it had no leaves, the leaves all having died earlier. So the first question is...... has anyone done this to their Adelae, and both sections(the top & the Stump) still survive? It was healthy, sprouted 3 offshoots from the roots since I got it before I decapitated it, and it was 3-4 inches tall. I cut it off about 2 inches off the ground. Thank you for doing your best to act serious while you read this and (hopefully) answering this question.
Now for the second. I got about 30 D. Filiformis ssp. Tracyi right before dormancy. Now I'm down to 10-12 due to rot, and I don't want to drive ALL of them to extinction! They were in a shallow container with a mortality of 15 or so untill I moved them into a deeper pot (12")
and they just lost 2 more due to rot! None from shock of transplanting, mind you. So how does everyone(I mean EVERYONE!) grow their Filiformis to look so beautiful!?!?!? I thought this species was an easy(er) species to grow, but not so for me! I know they need it drier , since they rot so easily, but pretty soon I'll be killing them if I plant them in a garbage can with holes in the bottom!(calm down, Aslan, calm down) I try not to top water them that much, and rot has slowed down some, but not enough to keep this species from termination here! Right now they're outside in the 70s in a 12" plus deep minibog right next to the happily thriving Sarracenia and Dionaea! SOMEBODY HELLLLLP!!!!
Okay, I'm calm now. Thank you if you are going to help me, and if not, well, try growing these yourself to see how hard it is!(Or how hard I think it is!)

Aslan

im sure the adalae will bounce back if it was growing good for you before. they always grow back from roots too.

sounds like you maybe watering your dormant Tracyi too much.

~billy

The D. adelae will probably come back from the roots. You may even be able to get plantlets from leaf cuttings from the leaves.

Drosera filiformis is prone to crown rot during and soon after dormancy. D. filiformis var tracyi even more so. I keep my rather dry only filling about 1-1.5 inches of water in the tray about once a week until they are actively growing (more than 4 fully developed leaves). I let the tray dry out between watering. I also avoid top watering them.

Some idea of your local conditions (temperatures, relative humidity, lighting) would help. I'm not at all familiar with the weather in Narnia. Isn't there a snow queen involved?

Haha.. There WAS a queen, or so she claimed to be, but she was really a witch that made it always winter!(And never Christmas! You'll only understand that part if ya read the book..) The only one of my CPs that liked it then was the Pinguicula Villosa. Now that she's dead, Narnian weather is a lot like southcentral KY weather, right now in the higher 70s in the day, 55-60 degrees at night. Since we live next to a creek, the humidity is high ALL THE TIME. The Filiformis are outside with full sun. The D. Adelae pot is inside an upside down fishtank in a windowsill that gets 1-3 hours of sunlight in the morning. I know it's thriving since it just sent up two offshoots at the same time. Now my P. Villosa isn't happy though.. I wonder why??? Maybe it's too warm.....

Aslan

P.S. I was kidding about having a P. Villosa (Or is that just wishful thinking?)

Upside down fishtank? I think your problem is air circulation

LOL! I never said I had a problem with the Adelae! I accidentaly cut the stem and the top part of it off and I was wondering if anyone was as clumsy as me and if it was likely to survive! Thanks for saying that, though. I'll definitely put it somewhere else where it can get some air.

Aslan

Back