What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are the largest sundews

hey guys i bought a D. dichotoma, D. multifida extrema , D. x Marston Dragon, and a d capensis. Do you guys know of any other very large sundews or sundews on the larger side? either very wide short leaves or very long narrow leaves, im just looking for sundews on the bigger side besides the drosera regia.. im looking for a good 3 to 4 to add to my collection and idk what to choose from

To my knowledge, there's a tuberous sundew that grows like 3-feet tall.

Drosera Traci has leaves that approach 2 feet long

As far as I know the 2 big ones are D. dichotoma and D. regia. To me they are in a league of their own.

Also check out Drosera filiformis and Drosear graminifolia. They can get very tall and are impressive plants.

Ill get the name of it when I get home, but a friend of mine has a tuberous dew that hit about 10 feet tall this season.

the tuberous most are prolly thinking of is D. gigantea

the tuberous most are prolly thinking of is D. gigantea

Our leader is correct, however, I'm going to advise you against trying to procure such a plant. Tuberous sundews can be quite difficult.

Jason

There are rumors of a D. capensis with leaves 1 ft + long. I've seen pictures but AFAIK this is not a very widespread clone.

BogandRonsplace037.jpg
this is part of the massive dew...
it wasnt gigantea. i can promise you that.

I'd get a D. Filiformis / D. Filiformis "Tracyi" to add to your collection.

If you are looking at other interesting things... Maybe a D. Adelae. It's not *tall* but it will grow to fill any container you have it in. Another option would be a pygmy sundew of some kind, after 1-2 years due to the gemmae thing they do you'll have a pot carpeted with them.

The one in Kristoff's photo is D. macrantha. They are long sprawling messes if not given anchor points and can reach about 2-2.5m if you are lucky

D. gigantea in cultivation can reach 1m but I have reliable reports from a few Aussies that it can reach 2m+ and have "a base thick enough to break your toe on".

IIRC the largest Drosera on record was a specimen of D. erythrogyne which was more than 3m up a tree. There is a pic somewhere on the web with Robert Gibson standing next to it.

IIRC the largest Drosera on record was a specimen of D. erythrogyne which was more than 3m up a tree. There is a pic somewhere on the web with Robert Gibson standing next to it.
Over here, - about 2/3 of the way down the thread...

Back