What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera madagascariensis

So I saw D. madagascariensis available on a certain store recently, and since I was ranter enamored of how it climbs, I figured I'd snag one while they were in stock.

Is there anything special I need to know about growing these? Should I treat it just like a Cape Sundew? I hear they really like to climb if you give them something to do so on, would a pencil or coat hanger bent up like a stick on halo be enough, or should I look for like a wooden dowel?

I've managed to keep mine alive and healthy for several years now but have not needed to provide any support. Maybe they are just slow growing for me ? Come to think of it they never have flowered either. Anyway, yes just like a Cape, they will do fine.

Very easy to grow. Mine keep fallling over as they get taller ;-) Doesn't look like they mind.

Do they send up multiple stems? How prolific are they seed-wise, do they self?

Edit: Holy cow, Do they really get that tall?

I ordered one on the weekend, I can't wait to have mine!

I have a straw in the pot to help support mine when it gets rather tall. When it gets too tall I just chop it off right above the soil level. A few weeks later it starts growing a new stem.
They do self.

Seems a bit brutal to just chop it off, but I guess that would ensure no dead skirt effect.

Do you root the stems you chop off?

Edit: Also, it's a D. madagascariensis "Botswana". Is that a specific cultivar, or just a plant from that general area of the world? I know it's considered endangered in Madagascar, so getting a few more samples for diversity is probably out.. ;)

There is a big chance the stem will dive in two when flowering ;-). Self-pollinating.

This plant propagates itself like crazy. It will continuously sprout new plants around its base as it gets larger. Usually after they fall over, I cut the stem and let the little ones take over.

Jason

Yea they make new plants around itself, and it dies back sometimes. But it will always, mostly always, come back.

Here's a picture:

Picture001-1.jpg

I had one flower a few years ago, but there were no seeds. It may be self-pollinating, nut mine was a dud.

I fed mine after I chopped them down, and they grew very fast. Also, every one has flowered now, but I think they are sensitive to the heat of my lights--- so, unfortunately, I haven't been able to collect any seed from them.
BTW, I remember Crissytal had an interesting technique. I believe she cut the stems off when the plant gets too large, and then pots up the upper half of the plant with newer leaves and waits for them to root. The original plant will come back from the roots in a few weeks too, so you have 2-4x the number of plants in a short time.
Here's a pic of my small clump, originally from droseraguy (thanks again :))
Madagascariensis-medium.JPG

They're definitely a fun sundew to grow.

Back