What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about Sundews

Hey guys, just wondering if someone out there could help me out. I have a few sundews of various species and ever since I've had them, they've been producing less and less droplets on their leaves. They still look healthy and are catching a lot of insects, but they no longer glisten as they once did. I've had them for roughly two weeks now and they are in a wet tray style arrangement. I only use RO water to keep them happy, no ferts, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Dew is produced in response to light conditions. Can you tell us a bit more about what kind of light they're receiving?

Thanks for the quick response!

They are sitting at an East-side window and receive approx 50% shaded light through a copse of trees for roughly 6-7 hours a day.

What kind of sundews are they? Some of them prefer to be outside, such as D.binata,filformis, capensis, etc.

If you can put them outside in full shade they'll probably do a lot better They aren't called SUNdews for nothing! I grow mine in full sun except for D. Adelae. I have D Binata, D capensis, D Madagascariensis, and D. Lanata in Full sun, they are all heavy with dew droptlets.

What kind of sundews are they? Some of them prefer to be outside, such as D.binata,filformis, capensis, etc.

I'm keeping the following species:

Drosera aliciae
Drosera capensis 'Typical'
Drosera capensis 'Red'

They're all doing the same thing, very small amounts of dew accumulating on the leaves, but otherwise healthy.

If you can put them outside in full shade they'll probably do a lot better They aren't called SUNdews for nothing! I grow mine in full sun except for D. Adelae. I have D Binata, D capensis, D Madagascariensis, and D. Lanata in Full sun, they are all heavy with dew droptlets.

Hmmm, I'm going to try that. It's an awful shame though, I really like having them indoors. Gotta do what you gotta do I guess. Thanks!

Those all do well at a sunny window sill or under a fluorescent light... although the all red variety of capensis struggles to remain all red when not in direct sun.

Did you mean to say outside in full sun? Just don't want ALBERT to be mistreating his sundews....

There's other reasons they might be not doing too great. I help my sundews (which are in a WEST facing window with about 2-3 hours of sunlight a day) get along by adding a set of lights above them.

It would be helpful if you would tell us where you are located and the growing conditions for your plants (temperatures, relative humidity, lighting).

These plants will grow under a wide range of conditions which is why they are considered beginner's plants.

If you are growing them using sunlight most carnivorous plants probably need at least 4 hours of direct full sunlight daily.

It sounds like more light would be helpful but then again the plants may just need a few more weeks to adjust to your conditions.

There's other reasons they might be not doing too great. I help my sundews (which are in a WEST facing window with about 2-3 hours of sunlight a day) get along by adding a set of lights above them.

Which window is best depends on local conditions. I grow many of my South African and Australian Drosera, Mexiccan Piguicula and Cephalotus all year round on my east facing window. Plants will cook in the brutal afternoon sun on my west facing window in the summer and fall.

In general you want to use whichever window gets the most direct sunlight but you have to beware of afternoon temperatures.

Depending on the species, sunlight is not not the only factor. Some tropical sundews stop producing dew when in temperatures above 90 degrees.

Depending on the species, sunlight is not not the only factor. Some tropical sundews stop producing dew when in temperatures above 90 degrees.

I wonder if that's why my Adelae has sent up a flower at the same time it's stopped dewing. It's been frightfully warm in that window lately.

Okay, so I've moved them further back into the room where more sun dapples across them for a longer period (6-8 hours). I've also put them into a larger tray, hopefully increasing the ambient humidity. I'll try to move them into a terrarium w/ HOT5's nearing the end of this coming month.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! Fingers crossed.

Back