What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petiolaris complex seeds - when to harvest?

Cindy

Staff member
I have some D. paradoxa plants forming fruits after I cross-pollinated two different forms. When should I cut the fruits off and dry them out to collect the seeds? The humidity has been above 65% outdoors and I doubt I'll see any of them pop/crack as they mature. Would waiting for the flower stalk to turn brown suffice? Or is that too late? ???

Thanks!

Hi Cindy,

Yes, I'd wait until they are brown.

Petiolaris-complex Drosera don't seem to dehice too openly, so seed loss shouldn't be too much of an issue if you wait a little too long. At least in my conditions...

Happy Growing,

Brian.

How do you approach germinating them?

Hey Jim,

I sow mine on very wet half sand, half peat mix and keep HOT (85-95F conditions). They love it....

Germination for me, begins at 4-5 weeks and continues sporadically for about a year.

Happy Growing,

Brian.

Thanks, Brian. :)

Oh..... they like Florida weather..... Yiiiiccchhh! Looks like you and Cindy have a natural situation for them! Brian, do you cover them or leave them exposed to the air? I have some seeds in my mini-greenhouse, covered. I have others in a tup of LFS, filled with water, on the porch.

Picture015-1.jpg

Picture040-1.jpg

Picture001-6.jpg

I'm struggling to get sundew and liniflora seeds to germinate, no matter what I do! I'm open to suggestions.

Back