User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does D. burmannii go dormant?, I've never seen this before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know Burmanii is an annual. You can cut the flower stalks off to extend it for a few seasons or sow some seed in rememberance of your fallen burmanii.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Definitely no dormancy... Your plant looks to me like maybe too much minerals in the media? Pest? Not really sure, that's not what mine do after they flower either so I can't say that's the cause... Mine regularly give many flowerings each, although the plant can shrink after a flowering... Here is a utric pot that I've not bothered removing the "weed" burmannii from LOL I'd be happy to toss ya some seeds Jim Just PM me if you're interested. They're super easy from seed (obviously ) I say they rival D. capensis!
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd check for mites or aphids. Ivan Snyder has one he has been growing for ages.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there's anything amiss with the media, water, or pests, I just don't see it. It's in with the mini-greenhouse and I give them distilled water. I just cleaned out the tray a couple weeks ago. I'd feed it but the leaves are dewless. The Gro Lux bulbs are 3" above the pot(s). Maybe this particular plant is akin to a 90 year old human?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drosera burmanii is an annual (in my condition even semi-annual....that means that when it is done flowering it dies. It starts growing smaller leaves when half of the flowers on the stalk are done blooming. The leaves grow smaller and smaller and look undeveloped, it means that the plant is dying. When it disappears from the surface it still pumps nutrients from dying roots to the stalk to finish ripening of the seeds...then the roots die and the plant is gone completely. It doesnt come back from roots anymore. Leaf pullings are a no-go with burmanii. It comes back from hundreds of seeds as a new colony of D. burmanii. You can delay the death of the plant by cutting of the flower stalk but then you get no seeds and when it flowers later the seeds are less and less viable. I had burmanii for 3 years longest cutting the flowers constantly, but seeds are a very easy to spread the number of plants in your collection:-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately for this plant (and me), there is no flower scape. It dies a lonely plant. R.I.P.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beats me, I have one that's over two years old that I've gotten three sets of seed from and it's still going strong. I'll send you some seed if you want.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess what... I was just checking a pot of D. spatulata to see if I could capture a flower in bloom and I caught a glimpse of something that looked different, partially obscured from my view. Rotating the pot 90 degrees:

I have no idea how it got there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast