User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How well do you know these sundews?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How well do you know these sundews?

I read that some sundews prefer a more sandy medium and some a more peat moss medium. Also the four different sundews I have are mainly forked sundews but I have one tropical and one cape. I was wondering if anyone can tell me the main difference between these four. D Dicatoma Giant, D Capensis wide leaf, D Marstons Dragon, D multifidia extrema. Differences as in Medium, hardiness, fast and slow growers, height and robustness of mature plants, etc. thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also if you can include dormancy info that would be great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow 3 of the 4 (although my D. Capensis is a typical and alba, not a wide leaf), and the one I don't grow (D. Marston's Dragon) is just a D. M. Extrema x D. Dicatoma Giant.

All 4 grow just fine in a mix of Peat and Perlite. D. Dicatoma Giant likes to grow flower stalks, I've taken to trimming them down as they appear, which causes the rest of the plant to go nuts. My D. Multifidia Extrema has some Bladderworts in the pot, and doesn't grow as fast as the others, but I hate to repot it and kill the bladderworts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When i first got them i cut all their leaves off because they weren't producing dew and i thought it would help prevent shock. The capensis is by far growing the fastest, 2nd would have to be marstons dragon, 3rd would be Dicatoma Giant, and 4th The multifidia extrema (which is taking forever). Do any of them have to go inside for the winter?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on what your winters are like.

If it gets below 40F the D. capensis should go indoors .

If it gets below 32F they should all go indoors.

Note the D. dichotoma "Giant" requires dormancy, it can tolerate temperatures down to 15F unless the roots freeze . The D. multifida "Extrema" and 'Marston's Dragon' will not go dormant if kept above 40F and do not require dormancy. These will go dormant if the temperatures drop enough. The binata complex typically dies down to the roots when dormant.

mcantrell: the Utricularia will hasten the break down of peat in your pot and you will have to repot eventually at some point. Just take a few "plugs" of media with Utricularia in them and "seed" new pots with them. They will grow rapidly.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i live very close to your condition, Mid to southern california in the high desert. Santa Clarita

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's up to you if you don't care if the "Extrema" and 'Marston's Dragon' go dormant. Otherwise leave them outdoors except on the nights when the temperatures dip below the mid 30'sF.

The D. capensis won't go dormant but could die down to the roots if exposed to cold enough temperatures (frost - low 30sF)
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To keep it simple, if you purchase a bag of orchid moss (LFS) and grow the plants at a sunny window sill, you'll do just fine. Here's the basic idea:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast