Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: D. schizandra

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having recently acquired a shizzy, Ive been doing a little reading...

Distribution and Habitat
    Drosera schizandra is endemic to Bellenden Ker-Mount Bartle Frere area in Queensland and is conserved within the Wooroonooran National Park. This species occurs in shady sites along creek banks bordering complex vine forests and growing on wet red sandy soil or granite (Marchant & George, 1982; BRI collection records, n.d.). This species occurs within the Wet Tropics (Queensland) Natural Resource Management Region.

Approved Conservation Advice (s266B of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999)
    Approved Conservation Advice for Drosera schizandra
    This Conservation Advice was approved by the Minister / Delegate of the Minister on:
    16/12/2008

These are the highest peaks in Queensland, and hold the record for rainfall.

After looking up the geology of the region, it would seem (just an assumption) that highland conditions combined with a sandy substrate containing some iron (laterite maybe) might be worth a try...

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clue View Post
    Are the notches any more developed now?
    Nope. They're barely visible on a leaf or 2, but in general, the plant just held it's own during the summer hiatus (which is much better than 'normal' summer activity...). With some feeding, I'm hoping to coax a bloom out of it this year ...
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    nice....always wondered if this one would do well for me.....cant grow adelae to save my life but prolifera loves me.....
    This is odd - at least for me. The 3 sisters are on a continuum of growing difficulty / range of acceptable conditions - again - this is for me. Others have had success with different conditions.

- D. adelae is typically a weed - will grow well if given some humidity. Media doesn't matter (much).
    - D. prolifera won't grow well in my office terrarium (where adelae does fine) but is a weed where the schizzies are sometimes comfortable. Media doesn't seem to matter much. (Later edit: set loose in the live LFS at the bottom of my office tank, D. prolifera has thrived - although it does even better in my cool basement in live LFS)
    - D. schizandra in my care requires very high humidity & only grows well in 100% live LFS (peat mixes killed them & growth was retarded with dead LFS). Also, it seems to not handle higher temps as well as the other two.

Based on my experiences (& some comments from others), I figured that although all 3 sisters grow in similar conditions - D. adelae grew at lower elevations, D. schizandra at the highest elevations & D. prolifera in between the two.

This poorly-supported theory was destroyed recently when Greg Bourke posted some in-situ pics of all 3 sisters on the VCPS listserver & I followed up with a question about their elevations. This was the response I received:
    D. prolifera 200m asl. D. schizandra 400 – 650m asl (we now have 3 sites for this species) and D. adelae 400m asl. (quote used with permission)
    Based on this information, there does not appear to be a clear delineation based on elevation... In general, they also grow much lower than I anticipated - given their latitude.
    Last edited by RL7836; 12-04-2010 at 01:11 PM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow I don't know how I missed this before- Ron, that schizzy in your first pic is amazing.
    This is a great resource.
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a baby schizzy:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New picture:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only had mine for about two weeks. Still obviously stressed but she does has new leaves forming. Growth appears like it is going to be quick.
    Doing the happy schizzy dance, errr knock on wood!

Disregard the granular stuff.... betcha cant guess LOL

Thanks Ron, Jim et al., for the help and guidance.
    My first attempt 6 months or so ago was very short lived...

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good Jim. How much light is your plant getting? I forgot did I send your some shizzys in an exchange before?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have it on the grow rack, on top of the light, set back in, so it gets what shines through the glass doors.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast