What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. adelae in the Watering Tray (Out of the Pot)

I just went and checked on my D. adelae this morning and saw this floating in the water.

20022970-43e4830027246e67bca55481aebe068a.4a6f0307-full.jpg

It's not connected by roots or anything underneath the pot... Also, I noticed lots of little gnats or something like gnats crawling in there, lots stuck to leaves. I only have tiny sundews in this little pot, because the mama plant died from sun, but these little guys started growing in the shade.

So how the heck could this happen? Is the only explanation that a critter came and knocked it out of the pot, into the water?

They can grow runners to the drainage hole in a pot and make new plants in the tray.

They can grow runners to the drainage hole in a pot and make new plants in the tray.

There was no root connecting it to the pot, though, and it was stuck to a little piece of LFS. Luckily this plant behaves the way it does, so I don't have to be worried about losing one plant, since there are lots more.

Critters messed up two of my CPs in the back of my house, and now they might be trying to sabotage the front of my house. Hmph!

This has happened to me, too, except it was with a pot of D. falconeri :( Luckily they left 1 plant alive.
Ground Squirrels liked to dig up my plants and bury seeds in the pots until I put chicken fence around my plants outdoors. stupid things...

I just went and checked on my D. adelae this morning and saw this floating in the water.

20022970-43e4830027246e67bca55481aebe068a.4a6f0307-full.jpg

It's not connected by roots or anything underneath the pot... Also, I noticed lots of little gnats or something like gnats crawling in there, lots stuck to leaves. I only have tiny sundews in this little pot, because the mama plant died from sun, but these little guys started growing in the shade.

So how the heck could this happen? Is the only explanation that a critter came and knocked it out of the pot, into the water?

For some reason I see no photo but my adelaes regularly put out babies underwater from under the pots. Prolific little darlings aren't they?!

:redx: Well, it's not just you.

Well, I've heard that D. adelae is quite a weed in someone's collection...

After 3 tries, my latest Adelae has kinda taken off. The original clump I got I split into 6 plants, putting them in 2 pots. One of the pots has at least 20 plants in it now, all growing on top of each other and getting to be a real (awesome) mess. The other is a few months behind but looks like it's going to do the same thing -- eventually. They really do go all out once they get into a good setup.

No growth outside of the pots yet -- but then again, I have one of those weird lippy $1 pots from Winco/Fred Meyer that doesn't give any room for runners to sneak out the bottom... ;)

Back