Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruby Ruby Dew

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I can't get my plant to anything close to that crimson color and it is in a mini-greenhouse, 3" under two Grolux bulbs. Temps are only in the 80's. Do I need to lower the lights? Do they need warmer temps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jimscott,

I'm tending to think the lintensity of the growlights brings out the deep reds in the falconeri. My falconeri that are growing under and between the 2 42 watt CFL's are the redder of the bunch. It could also be the clone that determines the color. I got that red one from Europe last November, and I got a couple more that originated int the US back in January. I haven't tried a lot of different experiments with these clones yet, as my first concern was to just keep them alive. But now they have divided and flowered for me, so I have more material to work with.

What type of lighting are you using in your growspace now Jim? I think T5HO would give you the light intensity needed to color these 'dews up nicely. I keep my domed enclosure quite warm because that's what I read that the falconeri like, but they might do just as well at 80F vs 95F...more trials in the future might provide some better understanding of these plant's preferences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The falconeri is red!!So beautiful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that is one ruby ruby dew
    Yep, lighting is key to the red coloration. When I grew them further from the lights, my plants turned a red-green. Now they are completely red after moving them closer. For fun, here's one of my babies:
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are 2 -25 Watt Grow lights. The plant does fine with producing new leaves and dew and the paradoxa right next to it quite red. I don't understand. I am considering buying a heat mat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey jim, mine turn red even in cooler temps (70F daytime) as long as they're directly under lights. I've found that it takes a lot of light to turn it red. There is nothing wrong with your D. falconeri though! It looks very healthy. I had a similar situation as you with plants like D. aliciae reddening up next to a green-orange Falconerii, but they just need more light than most if you want them to change.
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123