What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum lusitanicum attemps

Ant

Your one and only pest!
I have gotten 29 seeds from the NECPS show and I hope my attempts will be effective. I Want to use a 2 part perlite 1 part play sand mix with some peat thrown in. I am gonna use an 8" plastic pot as well and try to follow elgecko's strategy. Do you think it would be a good or bad idea to place the seed in a medium sized pinch of shag? I really don't want to experiment to much as I want to end up with at least 1 healthy adult. I will start the first 2 seeds tomorrow if every thing goes right.

What pre-treatment did you do with the seed? Your media sounds fine.

I have found it necessary to have the seed kept in ambient moisture to germinate. I have had success planting the seed in a moist media in the center of the sandy mix. I have had success planting the seed on its typical media and keep the the relative humidity high. I have also wrapped a seed in LFS and it germinated.

Also note that when you can actually see the plant (i.e. leaves emerging), know that the plant has been emerged and growing for up to a week. The leafs with the stalked glands are true leafs and the cotyledons which you likely didn't notice came before.

I am no expert at Drosophyllum but I have given it a great deal of attention with my research project. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Ant,

I am nearly as new as you but I'll share my experience. I sowed two seeds in July this year. One seemed to inflate by about 30-40% within a couple of days...this seed germinated. The other remained the same size and rotted (the seed coat was empty on the inside) when I check on it a month later.

Recently, I sowed another 3 seeds. I noticed only one seed has inflated. I'll update here if this seed will germinate again before the other two.

Btw, the seeds were sown on milled LFS.

Thanks cindy, I compared the seeds in the fridge with the ones in the pot and one has inflated just like you said! It was the one I had soaked in water, the other 2 have remained the same size. I will be watching this seed to see if the root will emerge in a few weeks.

CPBlake, to prepare the seeds I sanded the seed coat until it showed some white through it and planted them, the third seed I soaked for about 36 hours and planted it. I am wetting the seeds daily to keep them moist.

Hi Ant,

The inflated seed germinated after 20 days. :boogie:

Germination! I just found the seed sent out a root and today, and I can't tell if anymore has come out of the seed yet. I will post a picture when it has leaves!

congrats! now for the hard(er) part :) lol

Back