What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Drosera dichotoma 'Giant' Really Likes to Breed

dichotoma-a.jpg

dichotoma-b.jpg

So... by my math, I count 12 flower stalks. It doesn't have that many actual leaves. Literally every single time it sends up a leaf it follows with another flower stalk.

Suggestions? I was trying to trim them back but it seemed to just cause them to grow back faster, and caused the center part of the plant to sprawl out more.

(That's a 7" pot, I believe.)

haha wow
It looks like the leaves it's about to put out are quite small, which is not surprising. I'm wondering if it will go dormant on you soon. I believe I read that in the wild that the 'Giant' dies down to the roots in the colder months.

Nah, the little leaves are a result of all those flower stalks going up, over and over again. When I do trim it they're normal sized.

I just donno what to do. Is it a mutation? Is it something to do with the grow lights, or the size of the pot? Should I continue to keep trimming them back and hope it gets over it? Maybe it needs devision or something...

hmmm... you haven't fertilized it with anything? I know some fertilizers promote flowering, but otherwise I have no idea. Maybe it just got excited.

Maybe try pollinating it, it might stimulate it to stop flower production and focus on seeds. also, you could try propagating it by the flower stalks.

No fertilizer, and I'm pretty sure most of the stalks have selfed a few times. This isn't new, it's been doing this more or less since I got it a year ago.

Maybe the Rhizome was damaged when I trimmed off the early stalks or something. It does look like the rhizome has like 4 or 5 growth points...

Back