User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone familiar with Drosera fulva?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is anyone familiar with Drosera fulva?

I just got a D. fulva in the mail and it essentially looks like a clump of swept over grass in wet peat mud, is it dormant?

Any tips for how to grow this?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I know is that it is in the Petiolaris complex and has a range of Northern Australia.

Range:
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That also means a lot of heat required.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got one too. Think I saw Crystal from here bought one also. (Saw feedback that I think was from her.)

It is not dormant..... I'm going by the other Pet plants I grow and how they look when dormant.

Just grabbed my book, Carnivorous Plants of Australia Vol #3 by Allen Lowrie. It says that the plant will have glabrous leaves when in active growth (no hairs). When dormant it will form white hairs all over the leaves.
    From pics I've seen the leaves look like grass blades with a small disc at the end of the leaf with the sticky tentacles.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right elgecko, I just bought two as well. I believe this is the deal on them, they were bought from a wholesale company that sells them in flats of 72 plants per flat. The seller didn't wait for the plants to acclimate and start growing again before selling. Mine arrived in pretty bad shape. Petiolaris complex dews don't ship well in general when they are actively growing and healthy to begin with in my experience. I don't know how they arrived for you guys, but mine were very badly packed. The two little sheets of newspaper that were in the box can't even be counted as packing material. The plants beat themselves fairly well during shipping as the box was fairly large and there was nothing to prevent them from banging around. Mine are looking quite sad right now. I ordered two, figuring one would die because of the auction description 'shipped bareroot' and knowing the chances are extremely high that she purchased them from a particular wholesale vendor (the plants had just been released for sale from the vendor, they haven't had any chance to acclimate). They may be going semi dormant as a reaction to shock. Who knows . I won't be buying from them again .

Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, I'm not alone experimenting here!

I put mine in peat/NAPA mix and set in a tray of water with the other dews, is it OK in water or should it maybe be out of water? These kinds of dews have a desert-like dormancy at some point in the year do they not? Is that our winter or summer... Is it like Namibian succulents and growing when It's cool with short days? All my South African succulents seem to be growing & coloring up now...

I like that it has the little traps at the ends just none of the leaves are actually standing up. Mine has a flower stalk on it which is standing up, though none of the blooms are open. There do seem to be white hairs in the dead center of mine but it's not covering all of the leaves. I suppose a photo is in order even if it's not pretty.

Boink:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well based on what Crystal said I am pretty sure I know the source material for these and you should all find that the plant is pretty robust. If you guys have not already read my "How I grow Petiolaris Drosera" thread then I suggest you search it and read it then you will have a much better idea of what you need for it. Mine grew like a weed under those conditions

Have fun
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've heard it's kind of typical for a petiolaris to look like that after postage. Lots of heat + decent humidity = healthy plant, from what I know, though I've never done petiolaris before.
    Insanity is a sane response to an insane world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast