Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I gotta do it again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theyellowdart View Post
    Many people, including me, use the Lowe's 4ft wire tier shelf/rack as a grow rack. It's not exactly cheap, but it's size and durability are well worth it... Plus, 4ft shop lights fit on it perfectly.

I can hook you up if your looking for some Drosera seeds. Send me a pm.
    Thank you for all your support!

Interesting, does Lowe's have a specific link to what you're talking about? I would prefer something that can stand up and be like a shelf or something that can be enclosed, I don't know if this is at all possible. I'd like a few Neps, probably lowland, highland would be fine too, I'm not really decided yet!

Also, any suggestions on lights? I had some grow lights, but, they were insanely weak.
    - NeciFiX

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The four at the top of this link are the style I have, specifically the chrome one.
    I know some people have purchased shower curtains and rigged them up so they enclose the whole unit, which would be useful if your keeping it in your room or something like that. I keep mine in my room; the lights used to wake me up every morning, but I got used to them after the first couple of weeks.

As for lighting, just go to Lowe's or WalMart and look for a 4' T12 shop light fixture, it should be around $10. For bulbs, look for T12 daylights and/or cool whites.

Good luck!
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How would I go about mounting the lights and would growing Cephalotus, Nepenthes and Drosera be possible? Maybe Heliamphora down the line, too. How could I keep temps consistent year round with a moderate nighttime drops for Neps if I choose to grow them? Summer may be challenging. Would the basement be the best spot since it is naturally humid, cooler in the summer (still wouldn't be enough, though for neps?) warmer in the winter and there is adequate space for a grow rack?

Edit: we have a humidifier in my basement with a humidistat (45 percent right now). So, this issue is solved, as I can set it to 65% and walk away. However, temps may still be a problem. Would 4 bulbs be enough to make my 'colony' flourish? (lighting)

Thank you!
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cephalotus is really a trooper. I'd recommend starting with cephs and other Australian CPs, especially pygmy sundews. I don't have a ton of experience with pygmies, but I have a shelf with 2 t8 shoplight fixtures containing 2 bulbs each, and the ceph is getting some coloration and the pygmy sundew gemmae I sowed 2 weeks ago are sending up their first leaves... those aussie species will grow anywhere. The South Africa/madagascar drosera (like madagascariensis, capensis, and some others) tend to be pretty tolerant of low humidity as well. A lot of the times the shoplights come with chains and S-clips which will hook them right on to the shelf.
    I imagine most drosera would be fine with 50-65% humidity under good shoplights. If you want to go the solid highland nep route, though (species like aristo, inermis, densiflora, diatas, singalana, tentaculata, etc.) you definitely want somewhere cool. Yeah, the basement sounds like the best bet. 65% humidity should be alright for most all neps, only the pickiest will fuss about it. Heck, a lot of highlanders will grow for you on a sill or just plain under lights next to capensis. Though I have no experience growing helis, other growers' experience and information of where helis grow lead me to think that they won't be so lenient about temps and humidity. Good luck getting the addiction rolling again!
    Insanity is a sane response to an insane world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeciFiX View Post
    How would I go about mounting the lights and would growing Cephalotus, Nepenthes and Drosera be possible? Maybe Heliamphora down the line, too. How could I keep temps consistent year round with a moderate nighttime drops for Neps if I choose to grow them? Summer may be challenging. Would the basement be the best spot since it is naturally humid, cooler in the summer (still wouldn't be enough, though for neps?) warmer in the winter and there is adequate space for a grow rack?

Edit: we have a humidifier in my basement with a humidistat (45 percent right now). So, this issue is solved, as I can set it to 65% and walk away. However, temps may still be a problem. Would 4 bulbs be enough to make my 'colony' flourish? (lighting)

Thank you!
    The lights come with chains. I coil them around the wire shelving until I reach the height I want them to be from the plants.

Check my grow list. Everything that isn't temperate is being grown on my grow rack together. I keep my Cephs, Helis, dews, and some Utrics in a ten gallon terrarium on one of the shelves; it keeps the humidity no less than 65%. If you have a humidifier you could get away without a terrarium; I mainly use one because my room is generally pretty dry. Everything else that I didn't list is being grown out in the open under normal humidity (which can be anywhere from 30% to 55%).

Temperature shouldn't be an issue for you at all in Wisconsin. What kind of readings do you get in your basement? Something like 70's during the day, 50's-60's at night? All of my plants have been happy with my lowland summers (80* days, high 70* nights) and intermediate - highland winters (high 70* days, mid to low 60* nights) for almost 3 years now. As long as you don't have extreme low or high temperatures, you'll be perfectly fine. All plants can adapt.
    *You won't have much, if any, control over temps without spending a good amount of cash.

Edit- Sorry, missed the light question... Yes, 2 fixtures (4 bulbs) will be optimal for each shelf. If you'd like to spend some more money for better lights, look into t8's and t5's.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good! I can easily adjust the basements temp to tweak it, if necessary, for a highlandish environment if I want to grow a few Neps. Not pure highland so it'll be hard to grow everything else but highland to a good degree. The only highland plant I really wanna take a stab at is N. aristiolochioides (sp?). I'm fine with more intermediates though. If I can get a good rack, lights, and stable acceptable humidity at a reasonable price I should be alright. From what I've seen and read, this is true. The basement is cooler in the summer, it'd be a bit on the warm side, though. But, I don't think there would be much of a nighttime temp drop. Would blowing a large fan on high suffice? Or would I have to put a bucket of ice in front of it? That would probably work decently. I'd suggest an air conditioner myself, but, I gotta work with mom here too! She said no to the basement but I convinced her guests spending the night down there would be fascinated by them and feel safe knowing even though we have rather large wolf spiders in the basement, people would feel safer with spider eating plants (I guess I lied since the only spiders ever caught by my CPs were scavengers or ones I put there myself). I warmed her up to it but I can't go too overboard. Anymore thoughts or opinions? By the way, I'm not really into Pygmy Drosera. I grew a fw once and they were really dull due to their small size. I could grow a few colonies but what else might be options? I don't need big ones, but, miniscule plants aren't really my thing. What do you think about my summer nighttime cooling idea?

Thank you for all the help!
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got some VFT's that I could send, no shipping money needed, to you if you want/need any. send me a pm, best time would be spring when its not Antarctica over there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeciFiX View Post
    Sounds good! I can easily adjust the basements temp to tweak it, if necessary, for a highlandish environment if I want to grow a few Neps. Not pure highland so it'll be hard to grow everything else but highland to a good degree. The only highland plant I really wanna take a stab at is N. aristiolochioides (sp?). I'm fine with more intermediates though. If I can get a good rack, lights, and stable acceptable humidity at a reasonable price I should be alright. From what I've seen and read, this is true. The basement is cooler in the summer, it'd be a bit on the warm side, though. But, I don't think there would be much of a nighttime temp drop. Would blowing a large fan on high suffice? Or would I have to put a bucket of ice in front of it? That would probably work decently. I'd suggest an air conditioner myself, but, I gotta work with mom here too! She said no to the basement but I convinced her guests spending the night down there would be fascinated by them and feel safe knowing even though we have rather large wolf spiders in the basement, people would feel safer with spider eating plants (I guess I lied since the only spiders ever caught by my CPs were scavengers or ones I put there myself). I warmed her up to it but I can't go too overboard. Anymore thoughts or opinions? By the way, I'm not really into Pygmy Drosera. I grew a fw once and they were really dull due to their small size. I could grow a few colonies but what else might be options? I don't need big ones, but, miniscule plants aren't really my thing. What do you think about my summer nighttime cooling idea?

Thank you for all the help!
    Your welcome!

The fan idea should work, but you'll have to crank up the humidifier to stop the fan from drying out the air. In terms of stability and consistency, I don't think a fan is really the way to go unless you can work it out so that you can expect the same changes in temp/humidity from it just about every night (of course, depending on the season).

Like I said, plants can adapt. I'm pretty sure Av8tor (grows lots of Helis) grows everything on his rack without any night/day temperature difference, just constantly cool temps. He does something along the lines of what I was describing with using a humidifier and fan or a/c unit in conjunction with each other. Search up a few of his threads for more detail.

As for what you can grow... The sky is the limit! Really, I can't think of anything that wouldn't be possible, aside from maybe lowland neps in highland conditions.
    growlist

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast