What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. leioblastus gemmae actually germinated!

Well I haven't been successful with gemmae before (I tried several species once long ago) so I am happy to report that my D. leioblastus gemmae from Marius have germinated. They are in 50/50 sphagnum peat & quartzite turkey grit with 1/2" of pure sand ontop and as of leaf #1 they are doing fine! :D

I took them off the deep water tray now that they've germinated and moved them to my tray that always has just 1/2" or so in it. Is this good for these guys or should they sit in the deep tray all the time?

Should I slowly remove the saran wrap from the top of their pot over the course of a week? Even with the saran wrap off they will still be under a 6" - 8" tall Jiffy Greenhouse tray humidity dome with the other high humidity plants.

Congrats!!! It's always nice when you get the first ones to germinate. I'm not sure how tall your pot is, but I think that you could leave them in the deep water tray for up to another week, until the roots poke down further. Then I'd definitely move them to a shallower location, so that you don't get root rot. You definitely have the right idea going. I'd definitely take off the saran if you have it under another dome. You probably don't even have to worry about slowly removing it if there's that much humidity.
Happy growing
Aaron

I normally wait until a carnivorous plantlet or seedling has at least 4 trap leaves before doing anything to them.

Since your are using a pure sand mulch it is important to give them plenty of moisture until the roots are well established. Since it is the rainy season that triggers gemmae dispersal in their natural habitat the gemmae and plantlets are tolerant of moist conditions.

You may have to plant the radicle (emerging root) into the sand physically as the gemmae sometimes have problems with pure sand.

Congrats!
This is one of the fast germinating species. What NaN sais is true...you need to keep that sand moist until the roots go deep and establish. I stopped using pure sand on top because there is no way i can provide the very high humidity for all the gemmae pots or have the time to bag them.
lordalgol...was that you? I wish you would have said who you are...you missed your bonus :-(

Yup that was me! :D

Thanks, I'll move them back to deep water I moved them but didn't take off the wrap yet so they haven't dried up any.

"plant the radicle" he says! I can hardly see the plant itself much less the roots! lol

I do have a 30x loupe around here somewhere...

Back