What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Drosera Graminifolia form a winter bud?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Several months ago, I ordered a Drosera Graminifolia from a reputable carnivorous plant nursery. Since it arrived (I believe back in September), it hasn't grown any new leaves (but the old leaves still have dew on them). However, I noticed this week that it appears to have formed a dormant bud similar to Drosera Filiformis.

Does D. Graminifolia produce a winter bud?

Seeing that it comes from Brazil and in the tepuis as I just searched, I doubt it since it seems similar to Heliamphoras. I don't grow this plant, but I taking a guess, so I could be wrong. Can you provide a picture?

They are tropical and should not go dormant. South American Drosera can be tricky to grow. It's difficult to find information about them and know which are the highland and lowland plants.

Seeing that it comes from Brazil and in the tepuis as I just searched, I doubt it since it seems similar to Heliamphoras. I don't grow this plant, but I taking a guess, so I could be wrong. Can you provide a picture?

I'll get a picture tomorrow because it's nighttime now.

Mine didn't seem to be too mysterious. I kept it under some T12s and watered and it was very happy.

You can't bring it in for a second for a picture? :x

Okay, I took a bunch of pictures of everything, but for some reason, my camera won't upload the pictures to my computer. It just keeps saying "Can't Find Device"

So, now that I got a new camera, I took pictures. I bought this as a Drosera Graminifolia. Is it?

DormantDroseraFili1.jpg

Again, seeing that D. graminifolia is tropical, it shouldn't go dormant. It was probably some misidentification or possibly even a scam. However, if it starts to grow again, please post pictures to confirm if it really is D. filiformis.

Thanks for the link, it's difficult to find much on South American Drosera.

Here's some photos I just took. The D. filiformis have been growing outdoors for 2-3 years. The D. graminifolia has been outdoors since last spring. The D. filiformis are just beginning to grow again:

Square pots (top to bottom): Drosera filiformis var tracyi, D. filiformis var filiformis "Florida Giant". Round pot: D. graminifolia
P1160114.jpg

D. filiformis var tracyi
P1160120.jpg

D. filiformis var filiformis "Florida Giant"
P1160118.jpg

D. graminifolia notice the "onion skin" or what Fernando Rividavia describes as "Large, triangular, translucid, golden-bronze stipules"
P1160117.jpg

P1160116.jpg

There's no doubt in my mind that what you have is D. filiformis.

yup hers another pic of the crown.
66.JPG

Back