What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is There Gemmae In There?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Title should read: "Are there any gemmae in there?"

I've never actually had D. scorpioides produce gemmae for me, but I was wondering if that is a gemma emanating from the stipules?

Picture003.jpg

Does not look like any to me.
When D. scorpioides produce gemmae, you will know it.

So are they just more leaves?

Could be the beginning of gemmae, but if they are you're still a while away from them being ready. If it keeps putting out new growth that looks like that, and starts to get the appearance of a sunflower head, then it'll be gemmae. Right now it could just be putting out stump leaves, which they do sometimes. There's also a narrow possibility that those are gemmae and you'll only get a few - every season I get one or two plants that don't really put much effort into budding off. They often don't self-scatter and the gemmae need to be picked off by hand; they're usually still good as long as you don't let them dry out. They can be stored briefly but keep in mind they aren't as durable as seeds once detached from the mother plant. (Don't make the same mistake I made last year, and store them dry in a jar "for later." I left them unattended for about four weeks and was rewarded with a few tablespoons of green Drosera bacon bits.)
~Joe

I see 2 on the right side of the crown. They don't look like leaves at all. If you really want to know for sure you can just try to take the bigger one of and then you will see if it's a gemmae or a unfolded leaf.

Looks like the start of gemmae to me! Mine are producing them right now! Can't wait to try growing some! NEver did them before....

I vote yes.

could some one take a pic or two of healthy gemmae, and maybe give an little how to handle, and pot up the little guys thanks

Looks like gemmae to me. Try poking at it with a pin, it should dislodge with a minimum of disturbance.

then you can do this<===={ link

thanks Marius WOW great site guess ill be looking to get a few new pygmy's for my collection.
Thanks Daren what a great idea shouldn't lose a single little darling with that contraption . You guys answered all my questions in two posts forum record for me anyhow . Im on to collecting gemmae, right now

Wow, those flower buds are ridiculously proportioned to the stem and the plant itself in those pictures.

@CN--that is a super nifty idea, wish i knew that when i was dealing with mine. (tipped the whole pot upside down and tickled my plants with a toothpick) as expected, quite a mess.

don't for get to check back withe the results looks like gemmae to me but not sure either

Daren, I may be able to accomplish that with my disposable pipette (syringe). I can even cut part of the end off and widen the surface area. Sure beats tipping the pot over and coaxing them out... and all over the place!

I posted some photos of my tool in the past ...see if you can find that thread...
Anyway...it was made form an aquarium vacuum plastic tube, really simple.
Yes, it's nice but it only works for the smaller gemmae... like pygmaea or occidentalis....for the bigger ones it's more trouble than help.

I'm going to try using a baby's nose aspirator when the time comes. Looks like it may work.

Today's update:

Picture002-16.jpg

Looks like Gemmae to me

Back