What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much heat is too much for Pygmy Drosera?

I am still growing CPs but have kept rather quiet since I don't have many,
I have not actively pursued them and have been in a constant state of flux in Hawaii.

But now I've taken my abused nepenthes to more light,
repotted them, started to stare at my drosera wondering why i don't have more and how it's so cheap to buy CPs compared to my reef.
it hits around 70F to 75F daily,
occasional spikes to 85F but that's maybe every week it might happen for part of the day.

There is a good amount of gemmae I can purchase since it's winter best case I'll be having a nice collection of pygmy drosera soon :)

I think it's ideal weather for Drosera. In the wild, they get a summer estivation period when it gets very hot and a lot are killed off even when they form their summer buds, but in your case, they won't suffer that hardship. The only problem that I see is that in order to put out gemmae, you'll need to provide cool weather. I don't know if you'll be able to get the change in season needed in order for them to produce gemmae but as far as the growing season goes, I'm sure you won't have much trouble.

Plants will produce gemmae even in 80-90F days if the decrease in daylight is provided.
You will have no problem growing them there.

When I read about gemmae production one will emphasize decreasing photoperiod, while another emphasizes decreasing temperature. I just don't read the two factors being put together by anyone.

Actually most sources put them tougether...i used to do it too. I did notice some species like pygmaea will make them when they want no matter the temps or light, most will need only the decrease in light to make them and a few species will require both factors light and temps....just observations on my plants in the last years.

I'm fine then :)
We do have a winter out here,
it just gets cooler out and rains for a few days striaght,
clears up stays cooler then rains.
Summers get warm but it's no big deal.
Thanks for the help,
it's been a while since I've done any with CPs.

You're back in Hawaii... again?

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

What about water? I get the impression that (generally speaking), they want hot & dry for the summer, and cool & wet for the winter.

Yes I moved back a year ago,
I sold all my CPs and got a couple drosera from a guy in Honolulu,
and some nepenthes from a small nursery that's an hour away.
We are renting in Hawaii(Might buy), there is no work in Oregon and the house is sitting.
I'm not going to do a greenhouse and basically sat on the grounds of unless I have one
I wouldn't get anymore CPs since my siblings and they're pets kill plants.
But I've made so I can keep them, with enough RO water they aren't that hard to keep
although I'm wanting a green house/shade house since I want a big collection of them sometime.....

Water isn't a big deal,
the place I grow the CPs is partially sheltered by some plants and it doesn't rain much in the summer.
It's kinda nice that it mists lightly every night(with occasional down pours in the winter)
I don't have to water that much.

Back