What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This year's gemmae crop

Nepfreak

Nepenthesian
I kind of went gemmae crazy back in october... here are the results! They're all about 5 weeks old, and loving life under t8s.

D. roseana

IMG_3857.jpg

D. androsacea:

IMG_3844.jpg

D. palaceae ssp. trichocaulis

IMG_3847.jpg

D. barbigera

IMG_3852.jpg

'Carbarup'

IMG_3853.jpg

occidentalis x pulchella

IMG_3855.jpg

They look so awesome. :D Edit: Nevermind, you fixed it.

whar's the sandy media, where did you find it, it's so cool with the drosera. they show up very well , congrats on the new babies

They look so awesome. :D Edit: Nevermind, you fixed it.

lol, what do you mean nevermind! The do look awesome.

I assume that they aren't in plain sand, just that surface, right?

Here's my own recipe for a 4 inch tall pot: About 1 inch of long fibered sphagnum for the bottom, about 2 3/4 inches of 50/50 sphagnum moss/perlite mix, 1/4 inch of washed sand.

where did you get the sand, im afraid ill poisn my plants if i use the wrong thing ,
Probably the beach hu LOL.
SAND did'nt think of that ha!

SandMart

Seriously though, you can get horticultural sand from just about ANYWHERE that sells gardening supplies. So long as it's washed sand, you'll be okay. If you suspect that there are additives, you can pre-wash the stuff first under running tap water until the water is clear and then in RO/Distilled water.

Thanks Brokken , like you sense of humor

Wow capensis, that was fast. You must have seen the post within about a minute of me posting it to catch that :D . The sand is play sand. It's called something like "white landscaping sand," which I guess is a certain type of play sand. It has some silica in it so I don't know if I'd let my kid (if I had one [which I don't]) play in it! Anyway, it's a lot cleaner than the other run-of-the-mill play sand I get from the hardware store, and the pygmies aren't complaining. It's just a half-inch top coating, copied from nightsky. Underneath it's about 2:1 sand:peat or thereabouts. I got all the plants and basically all the growing information from Marius Vid (mark.ca), so if you're reading this, thanks a lot!

EDIT: two of my letters ended up a smiley. I'll leave it to you to figure out what it says :p

Looks like they're playing in the snow!

wow! fantastic looking plants!! Beautiful!

Back