What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Prolifera bloom

uphwiz

jimmy
got this as a freeby in with a ceph. i bought , the seller suggested live sphagnum, ive lost three of these . Im trying this one in my highland terr. It started with two little leaves 6 weeks ago, look now!
I'm very excited.
PHOTO+TR+XXxx.jpg
And it's blooming,, there is a second bloom spike can you see it in the first pic.
xxxxxx+PHOTO+TERRA.jpg
:-O:-O

WOW! Very nice flower!

Congrats! Don't cut anything off! There's a plantlet to be found at the end of that rainbow.

cool! never heard of prolifera flowering! very pretty flower also! congrats!! :-D

jimscott ,what do you mean plantlet. do these produce a baby at the bloom, do i need to try and pollinate it .
probably dont have much time for that hu?

Congrats! Don't cut anything off! There's a plantlet to be found at the end of that rainbow.
Yup - tuck the end of that shoot into some live LFS and you'll soon have another plant growing.

cool! never heard of prolifera flowering!
Huh?? They flower constantly! I suspect that the constant plantlet-producing flower-shoots may have something to do with its name ....

jimscott ,what do you mean plantlet. do these produce a baby at the bloom, do i need to try and pollinate it. probably dont have much time for that hu?
No pollination, just stick it in live LFS. When it's reasonably happy with the conditions, you'll soon have many of them. Enjoy!

congrats, jimmy. It looks great! Just in case you're confused, you will need two genetically different plants of D. prolifera blooming at the same time in order to produce viable seed. Otherwise, even if you try to manually self-pollinate it, no seeds will be produced. However, like jimscott and RL7836 said, they will frequently produce plantlets at the end of their flower stalks, and this is a very fast and easy way to propagate D. prolifera.
Happy propagation.

Huh?? They flower constantly! I suspect that the constant plantlet-producing flower-shoots may have something to do with its name ....

I would tend to agree with you judging from the faint recollections I have of my college etymology class. :)

Not the best picture in the world, but:

Picture013-4.jpg

Does it still produce the plantlet if the flower is pollenated?

Very impressive. I love D. prolifera. I killed mine though. :(

do i leave the bloom stem attached till i see growth of the plantlett? and do i do this now or after the bloom wilts a little, want to try the propagation you all suggested or yall how ever you like it , I'm a little southern , gitit?

do i leave the bloom stem attached till i see growth of the plantlett?
I usually keep them attached until I want to move the new plant - which is usually after it has a few leaves & some roots.

...and do i do this now or after the bloom wilts a little ...
I stick them in a clump of live LFS when they'll reach (but before it finally wilts). Typically, you have plenty of time as the shoot just keeps extending the stem between each flower & you have several flowers yet (& probably more after that). Your's could reach a separate pot now or you could bend it around & stick it in the LFS in the current pot or wait a while .... They're flexible. Soon you'll have a 2nd runner from the parent & then another & then one coming out of one of the new babies and then ...... :0o:

Back