User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally! My Drosophyllum germination success story (and updates!)

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the Drosophyllum growers in the LACPS:

If the seeds are fresh no scarification is needed. Otherwise just take a sharp knife (X-Acto, razor blade, scalpel) and nick the pointed end of the seed before soaking.

Seedlings can be transplanted but only within a day or two of sprouting (sooner the better).

The best substrate is decomposed granite grit.

Happy Growing! These are such beautiful plants.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! I've erred on the side of having them dry out, as well as moving them one too many times.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quick update! Just noticed 2 of the red toothpick marked seeds have sprouted that makes 2/4 for that particular method. Still have not found my key though... Maybe I'll try to use my loop and see if I can tell which ones have a sliver cut off of them. Then I'll know. lol Total, that takes us to 4 sprouts out of 11 in just over a month.

Andrew

Side note, there are about 60 (a guess) of these seeds left that are probably going to turn up in the trading forum. Keep your eyes peeled and start thinking of what you'd like to offer! Lets not cover that in this topic though. :-p
    Last edited by adnedarn; 01-20-2010 at 10:09 PM.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As mentioned... I found 2 more germinations yesterday. I was able to figure out my coloring code! Red are in fact the cut and soaked, black is just soaked, and plain were just sown. So, that leaves our tally at 1/4 soaked, 1/2 just planted, 2/4 cut big end and soaked germination at about a month later.

Here are a couple up close photos showing the germination of the newly found 2 seeds (from the small end) and the cut (big) end. I should have these guys transplanted today Enjoy!

Andrew

Last edited by adnedarn; 01-20-2010 at 10:08 PM.
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, that last pic there looks like a forming nepenthes pitcher. The little point at the tip looks like the Spur of the pitcher.

Kinda like here in the pic http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/s...hes101/c-7.jpg

Very good growing there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew,

Whatcha' got growing in the zeer pot type thingies in the last pic . I was thinking of trying them for my darlingtoniae this spring so I can keep them outside a bit longer before it gets too hot. What material do you use between the pots? I have heard sand or perlite work good. The inside pot would need to be porous, what about the outside pot?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    chezilla,

"zeer pot type thingies"? You talking about the pot planted in a pot? That's what this whole topic is about LOL reread the posts

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

Alright, the 2 new germinations have been transplanted into the following media (different than what I used on the first two, this is what Jeremiah recommends.) 1 part of each of the following sand, perlite, and vermiculite then 1/2 part pumice, and 1/4 part peat. ...using the double pot method of course. I'm not brave enough to not I don't think.
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Update, yesterday I found 2 more sprouts That puts me at 6/13 germinated in less than 2 months. Not bad being as I've always failed before So that adds one soaked and sown, and one was just sown to the tally. I think I'm going to put these two in the same pot, since I have 4 going in their own pots, might as well give it a shot!

For fun, here is my largest one, it is growing pretty quick! My other that sprouted at the same time isn't doing as well, but is definitely still growing. It may have had a little more shock from me transplanting it than this one did.

My second set that sprouted are also doing really well, I would say they've almost caught up to my smaller one of the first set. (interesting they keep sprouting in pairs!)

Remember this is the same seed I have up for trade here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=121033 Don't let the wishlist throw you off... If you think you have something that may interest me, send a PM! It never hurts to offer.

Enjoy,
    Andrew
    -Andrew

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast